Can I use Asterisk.Asterisk in the move additional files to move all files?

Can I use Asterisk.Asterisk in Options - File naming - Move additional files, to move all files?

While I’m asking: I have read that it is not possible to move sub folders, is that on the “to do” list as a future feature, and Asterisk.Asterisk too if it is also not possible? Of course it may be that whatever API is used for the scripting can do the same thing, just with other variables.

I know Asterisk.Asterisk is a universal standard on most (possibly all) OS’s, but don’t remember if that works for folders too. :confused: Sure would come in handy!

Asterisk.Asterisk = Star.Star

I am using Picard 2.04 on Arch Linux.

Yes, you can use wildcards to move files. To move all files and folders use *. You can also use *.*, but that will only move elements that contain a dot.

Side note: The *.* notation meaning “everything” is really a Windows thing. I don’t know why it is this way, because it’s Windows I guess. But in a proper Unix shell *.* will mean exactly this: Every element containing at least one dot.

3 Likes

Thanks for the valuable info @outsidecontext! :smiley:

I just hope someone will add that to the instructions, where it belongs. I was surprised to find it missing, and there is at least one other thread here where the answer to the ability to move folders is NO. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I will test this as soon as I figure out my tagging script:

I tried one of those “Mass file taggers” years ago, and it too used scripting, but in a very confusing way that was poorly documented; I ended up having all audio files from G through K of my collection all tagged as “Gentle Giant - Octopus…” :rage: but noticed it and stop the operation before it got to Zappa Frank! :woozy_face: Lucky for me it did not change the file and folder names. :disappointed_relieved:

I think it actually predates Windows and is from the old DOS 8.3 file name spec days. The first asterisk matched anything before the period, and the second asterisk matched anything after the period.

1 Like

@rdswift I too predate Windows, and even DOS :mage:, the first version of DOS I ever had was not an installation, but was burned on a few 8bit 32kb ROM Chips, and yes, it too had *.* meaning everything. Everything on your whole computer could fit on a few 1.2Mb floppies, and don’t forget the whopping 2 Mb of RAM! :wink:

I started my programming in 1973 while at university working on my engineering degree. In our lab we first learned to program on a state of the art Munro Series 1300 Programmable Calculator. After that they had us working on a Xerox Sigma 9 mainframe computer using FORTRAN and punch cards. My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 (6502 processor, 32k RAM, cassette tape drive for storage). My first (DOS) PC came a few years later. It had an 8-bit 8088 processor (dual clocked), a 360k floppy drive and 640k RAM. Heaven at the time. Things were so much simpler then. :wink:

2 Likes