Can an animal be an artist?

hello! i was looking at the credits for an album, and i noticed something odd. the artist credited her dog, joanie, as a percussionist. she even included it when posting about the album: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVDvYWClQOs/. my question is: should “joanie cottrill” be added as an artist? if not, how should the percussion be credited?

edit: joanie has been added! thank you! Joanie Cottrill - MusicBrainz

3 Likes

Yes, you can add it.
It would be listed as an ‘other’.

And I would certainly make sure to add disambiguation firmly stating this is a dog so that someone doesn’t come around and credit Joanie Cottrill with a 3rd grade orchestra recital performance.

7 Likes

i don’t see why not, personally! we store characters, ‘instruments’ (vocaloid & similar), and such as artists, so i think a dog definitely belongs if the dog in question is a musician :slight_smile: i agree w justcheckingitout, make sure to disambiguate and annotate thoroughly!

2 Likes

Related, this split is a dog and a parrot based band :grin:

Looks like someone has added the parrot.

4 Likes

There are already dogs in the database. Seamus performed vocals on a Pink Floyd recording.

4 Likes

Some more animals

4 Likes

talk about inhuman vocals… :joy:

just wanted to add Weird Al’s poodle Bela to the list. she’s even on the cover of Poodle Hat, but I don’t know if there’s a way to credit her besides an annotation.

2 Likes

“Bird Seeds of Vengeance” gave me a laugh.

4 Likes

I made this ticket 4 years ago for this very reason:

2 Likes