Build Error - Bad Interpreter .. Python 3.7

At some point I obviously updated Python …

Where do I change that version so it can build?

I can’t find any reference to python3.7 in the build files or source.

I know I did this before when I updated to 3.7 from whatever I had before that… :slight_smile:

I think this is because PyInstaller was installed for 3.7. Either try if it works if you piip install PyInstaller again, or check with which pyinstaller where it is installed and remove that binary.

Maybe also best to look for old Python 3.7 files and remove them completely.

1 Like
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/setuptools/distutils_patch.py:25: UserWarning: Distutils was imported before Setuptools. This usage is discouraged and may exhibit undesirable behaviors or errors. Please use Setuptools' objects directly or at least import Setuptools first.
  warnings.warn(
running build_ext
copying build/lib.macosx-10.9-x86_64-3.9/picard/util/_astrcmp.cpython-39-darwin.so -> picard/util
./asm: line 5: pyinstaller: command not found

This is just one fun game of endless cliffs. :slight_smile:

I removed every bit of python3anything I could find. Used the 3.9.1 installer… at least this time I didn’t have to add my own symlink to python3.9 from python3.7

(I used the installer because quite a number of posts say things about homebrew installing python3 wrongly. ?? )

Hmm… this is with installing pyinstaller from pip3.

pip gives me:
/usr/local/bin/pip: bad interpreter: /usr/local/opt/python@3.9/bin/python3.9: no such file or directory

tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  which python
/usr/bin/python
 tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  which python3
/usr/local/bin/python3
 tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  which pip
/usr/local/bin/pip
 tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  which pip3
/usr/local/bin/pip3
 tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  which pyinstaller
pyinstaller not found
 ✘ tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  pip pinstaller
zsh: /usr/local/bin/pip: bad interpreter: /usr/local/opt/python@3.9/bin/python3.9: no such file or directory
 ✘ tdiaz@iMac-Pro  ~   master  pip3 pyinstaller
ERROR: unknown command "pyinstaller" - maybe you meant "install"

This is what’s there. Trying to fix pip, not pip3… let’s see…

pip3 pyinstaller seems to be happy:

✘ tdiaz@iMac-Pro  /opt/local/bin  pip3 install pyinstaller
Requirement already satisfied: pyinstaller in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (4.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pyinstaller-hooks-contrib>=2020.6 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pyinstaller) (2020.10)
Requirement already satisfied: macholib>=1.8 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pyinstaller) (1.14)
Requirement already satisfied: altgraph in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pyinstaller) (0.17)
Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pyinstaller) (49.2.1)
Requirement already satisfied: altgraph in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from pyinstaller) (0.17)

…and pip pyinstaller complains about that interpreter, which this time I can’t seem to fix with a symlink or at least put it in the right place.

tdiaz@iMac-Pro  /opt/local/bin  pip pyinstaller
zsh: /usr/local/bin/pip: bad interpreter: /usr/local/opt/python@3.9/bin/python3.9: no such file or directory

Okay, all that is sorted out, though I’ll just leave it there. I can’t put a finger on exactly what the issue was, but going through one at a time again, with mutagen, etc… module wise I was able to kick the problem down the road until it worked.

When I got syntax errors in picard/album.py I knew I got past that. :wink:

… and I expected the syntax errors because I wasn’t sure what of my old stuff I still needed since Picard now supports more column data in the viewer. Other than where I am doing something cosmetically different with the display, I probably don’t need to actually be elif == adding those columns, except that I’m afraid to remove them because I think that the config will reset the positions and that would mean sizes/widths… and I have all that ‘nice’ like I want it. :slight_smile:

Now if I could ever figure out how to get it to build with discid, just for the pure spite of it.

It’s installed with pip, it’s installed at the system level, it even says it’s installed from the shell. But the build process says “Eh? Where is it?” So #knock it out we go.

I did comb through everything and remove every bit of Python that was there, to where the only thing there are symlinks for is the 3.9 install. No dangling stuff left over from previous incomplete uninstalls. The only thing I see that it did, was even though I was working from the 3.9.1 install, it still put some 3.8 stuff in there, and I kept nuking it at first, thinking it was ‘left over’ from before. Even though I never had 3.8.