"Big" names in "big" (music) genres

The first link you posted states “Garth Brooks, who is the best-selling solo artist in the history of recorded music” :wink:

…but I don’t have a dog in this race, record companies always inflate sales numbers anyways and any figures are, especially before Soundscan, notoriously untrustworthy. My general point stands though; Garth Brooks is in an Elite Club of massive artists. Despite all that I still couldn’t name a single one of his many, many monster hits without looking it up first. So there’s that.

…and let’s not forget the banjo in the background!

…where do you guys get this idea from, that we don’t dig country in Europe, like as a rule? It’s just not accurate.
Just listen to these two young Swedish girls praising Emmylou Harris and selling s shit-ton of records in the process:

Oh, and Johnny Cash. He sold maybe a few records in Europe in his day.

I don’t think that’s necessarily the point.
I think (I hope!) that anyone from any country can appreciate great music, especially music from a country with a incredibly huge cultural footprint, like the USA.
But I don’t think I’ve met someone from New Zealand, in my life, who’s answered the question “what’s your favourite kind of music” with “country”.

So I would say it’s wise to keep an open mind and not make assumptions about global listening habits (and the ‘importance’ of a type of music) based off regional experience and preference.

All the elements made the genre appeal to me but this one ruins everything, erh… :face_vomiting:

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away… assuming you can even get in touch with them.

But, to keep “politics” out of it…
The American Country and Western music isn’t quite the same as “Ganster Rap” when it comes to guns.
You need a gun out on the prairie because you never know when you are going to be attacked by a buffalo.

There are many musical genres and cultures in the world, and it seems to me country is recognized has a big “genre” . Which doesn’t mean it’s popular everywhere.

Queer country “genre” has my preference :wink:

Fair point. Just don’t tell the folks over at the The New Zealand Country Music Association, it’ll break their hearts :wink:
https://nzcountrymusic.org.nz

RIP Keith Urban, King Of Kiwi Country :frowning:

I feel bad already!
Sorry NZ country music lovers!

True, Johnny Cash is widely known in Europe, even though he did many other genres. Quique González presents his own music as alt-country. And Emmylou’s influences seem even more obvious to me. There are local country lovers in the EU too, even some country festivals, but it is still a “niche” here.

Maybe it is more a wording issue and the term country is underused whereas folk/rock is more selling here. It is definitely not as rare as J-pop, but still rare, hence “having references” about this genre is rare too. Country music is just in my blind spot, not that I’m proud of it, and this has nothing to do with being able to “appreciate music from the USA”, I know more about rock, folk, old-time, or bluegrass for the closest genres.

I’m still not buying the “very niche in Europe” argument (the roots of C&W are, after all, European), but sure, country can be a polarizing genre, and it’s quite common that people have some preconceived notion about what it sounds like. But country became “hip again” almost 50 years ago thanks to bands like The Byrds and not to mention Gram Parsons, Neil Young, et. al. And it’s been a part of the mainstream ever since. I myself grew up listening to what was then called “Cowpunk”, fronted by bands like The Gun Club (and later 16 Horsepower). These bands were big in the alt/indie scene all over Europe.

Curiously; Hellbillies, arguably one of Norway’s biggest bands of all time, is also firmly rooted in country and it’s a surprisingly young demographic attending their shows, Yee-Haw! :cowboy_hat_face::guitar::musical_note::sunglasses:

I don’t know what it means to buy an idea but are you living in Europe?

In France, I only know only one person who occasionally listens to country when she weekly does some American group cowboy dancing.

Most people don’t even know the word country.

I guess C&W means country but it doesn’t mean it is popular here.
For instance, Jazz was created in the US but I was told it was no more popular there.
Still it has a public in France (more than in the US, I was told)

I accept that some styles are not as popular in other parts of the world, (American) Country (and Western) in Europe, and K-Pop in America, Flamenco in Russia… I mean David Hasselhoff??? Really, we can’t all agree on what’s popular.

But I think we all have a duty to know what’s going on in the world. We don’t all need to know “Brantley Gilbert”, but we should have heard of “Garth Brooks”.

I have never heard this name outside of this topic.
But what’s the problem with that?
I fail to understand the whole purpose, here.

Unless it’s EDM or d-beat?

buying an idea = agreeing with the premise of the argument. Yup, I’m Eurotrash and proud!

For the state of country music in France you could check out:
http://country-music-france.com/
http://facm.free.fr/

And of course your legendary idol Halliday was a fan:

Jazz may have originated in the US, but it’s played literally everywhere, on every continent. And today jazz musicians will play Coltrane one day and collaborate with Snoop Dogg, Pharrell or Kanye West the next. Just check out some deeply jazz rooted acts like Thundercat, Kamai Washington or BadBadNotGood. Good stuff.

I’d wager there are more people in the world who haven’t heard of Garth Brooks than have. It’s hardly a character flaw. I live in the US mid-south, and I heard him on the radio today. But anywhere else? shrug

Sure, but even fewer people in the world are MusicBrainz editors. I took justcheckingitout’s comment as applying to the editor community in particular. Calling it a duty might be a little strong, but the broader our exposure to different music, the better we can be as editors.

I’d personally put The Byrds and Neil Young under rock or folk rock myself, and I reckon that maybe a lot of music that you would classify as “country” end up being classified as “folk” to/for many European audiences. (It seems to me like (too) many things “acoustic singer/songwriter”-ish gets classified as “folk” here, even if I would say it was pop or soul or country or what-have-you myself. But then, I’m a traditional musician (“folkemusiker” in Danish), so I might also be too invested in the term/biased. :slight_smile:)

Also, #GenresAreHard

(And yes, I realise you’re European yourself, but too much genre knowledge also makes it hard to see how the genre is seen from outside.)