I’ve been entering Elgar: Complete Recordings, and basically what I did was (after confirming it didn’t already exist):
- Add the release and the first disc
- For each disc, see if it matched a disc ID already present. If so, confirm it’s the same and import the disc. Otherwise, type in the tracklist and add the disc
- Add the discid. Rip the disc.
- Once all ripped, use Picard to add AcoustIDs.
- Scanned and uploaded cover art incl. the entire booklet.
This of course created a lot of duplicate recordings—except for the imported discs, they were all newly created. So I next went through each track checking the AcoustIDs to find duplicates. Then, if at least the performers matched and the times were close, I put in a merge. Some at least I got to do a bunch of tracks at once with the mass merge userscript.
It seems at this point basically I need to wait a week for all those merges to resolve. I don’t think I can add ARs yet because:
- I don’t know which ones are needed—a lot will “suddenly” appear once the merges complete.
- I’m not sure what’ll happen if ARs conflict (e.g., if I have a more-specific or slightly different date, or…)
- Any that don’t auto-apply will close after the merge… and I suspect that means they’ll just fail.
Not sure if there is an easy (or at least not too painful) way to avoid entering the duplicates in the first place. Or a way to avoid the 7-day wait (well, I guess other than asking an auto-editor to approve them all). Also not ideal that the merges don’t have the conductor/orchestra/date/etc. on one side, making them harder to vote on.