I tried out your cool looking program as a result of a recent flourish in activity attempting to tag my music collection. I thought I would turn to your forums, as I have become exasperated with the inability to perform what seems like basic functions.
Perhaps if I give you some context it might help you to assist me. I was listening to my music and some of it was badly tagged, so badly that I had no idea what some of it was any more. I used Shazam and it gave me the correct track name the vast majority of the time. As you can imagine, it was a very time-consuming process writing out the tags by hand. That’s when I searched the internet and came across an article named “The Best Apps for Automatically Cleaning Up Your Music Library”, it’s quite easy to find on Google. It recommended Picard amongst others.
The article mentioned that Picard could search Amazon, Google, SoundtrackCollector, eBay, Game Music Revolution, and a ton of other sources, which appealed to me as I could only find some of my tunes on Beatport or Discogs for example.
I wasn’t able to get plugins working on Picard, probably out of lack of persistence but I found that I could use TagScanner to tag from Discogs, and Mp3tag with stevehero’s Beatport scripts to tag from Beatport which are very useful!
I thought, if I could use Picard to do as much automatic tagging using AcoustID as possible, I could finish up by tagging the rest manually.
Anyway, my problems are twofold: Firstly, I don’t seem to be getting the right results from Picard when I hit scan. I have a track “Kolombo - Je T’aime (Carlo Lio Mix)” which consistently comes up as “Alpha Process - Je T’Aime”. I have tried twiddling with the minimal similarity for lookups thresholds but to no avail. Strangely, when I utilise Quintessential Media Player, which also utilises AcoustID I believe to identify tracks, it comes up with the right track.
I presume that if I got the plugins mentioned in the article working, they would not search automatically using fingerprinting.
My second and very puzzling problem, is that my tags aren’t being written! Picard seems to rename the filename alright, but tags for Title and Artist etc. don’t get written. Which is bizarre, because I seem to be having the same problem with Quintessential Media Player, it is not writing tags either! The boxes for the fields show up in red in this program. However, Tagscanner and Mp3tag have no problems writing the tags!
As you can see, I have been through many programs trying to fix this and am at the end of my tether! Also, I might be making complete noobish mistakes. Am not sure, either way I would be very, very grateful indeed to anybody who could offer me any assistance!