Author page

Continuing the discussion from Translations as Works:

When I try to use BB for my collection, I go to Ursula K. Le Guin but there I see too many things I didn’t expect, I’m lost.

I expected to see a simple opus (work) list, ordered by first released date, with the year visible, not duplicates for each translations and other secondary stuff.

And then, inside each opus, I could find my translated/derivate work.

Off topic: I still don’t understand the need for edition groups. We already have editions and works.

3 Likes

Thank you for looking into this jesus, I was just having another look through BB the other day and had the same thoughts, but never have had time to collect them.

I think some of these are really simple fixes. BB has all the info there, but sometimes gets lost in ‘technically correct’ land. In this case I’m not sure why works are prefixed with ‘Relationships’ and then ‘Ursula wrote…’, if they’re the ‘main’ list on the page.

Imo just a list, with a more descriptive header for that grouping, would be clearer.

Hopefully I’ll get time to dig about a bit more later

1 Like

Yes, your right of course. I never started to discuss this topic because it’s so obvious and will be added sooner or later. When I started there were just about 2.000 works listed and it was easy to overlook the existing entities. There were much more important things to do than sorting and listing amendments (e.g. the alias function…we still just have it for the main author).
But now it’s really getting confusing on some authors’ pages since all relations are just listed without any sorting whatsoever. “wrote” relation next to “is subject of” relation next to “translated” relation.
The time has come to change that :wink:

It took me a while and I’m still not 100% convinced that we need them but one example for it’s usefulness is: We don’t use “works” for complete “collections” and “anthologies”. A collection is not a work (some exceptions has been discussed) for BookBrains. So the edition groups are the only entities where we can group various editions of the same “collection” or “anthology” together.

2 Likes