Are Short Scrobbles Allowed?

Are scrobbles of recordings shorter than 30 seconds allowed to be submited to ListenBrainz? I ask because Last.fm has that restriction (https://www.last.fm/api/scrobbling#when-is-a-scrobble-a-scrobble) and I don’t see any mention of it on the API docs (Core — ListenBrainz 0.1.0 documentation), but the official ListenBrainz app doesn’t seem to scrobble anything under 30 seconds and has no option to change that behavior.

My real motivation for this is I’m listening to the Undertale soundtrack and I want all the recordings to show up for completion’s sake :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @zabey! For LB Android, we have restricted the scrobbles to minimum 30 seconds or above due to ads. Ads from Spotify or YouTube are max to max 30 seconds long and hence the limit.

We could have the option to change that behaviour in future. Please open a ticket here in order to put it on our checklist.

2 Likes

Oh that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation! I listen with Newpipe usually, and hopefully soon my Navidrome server, so thats not something I was worrying about. I’ve just opened an issue here [MOBILE-176] Add option to scrobble short recordings - MetaBrainz JIRA

2 Likes

Not having the length limit is a big boon to me (on LB web), because I listen to some genres that often have songs under 30 seconds. The limit was always annoying on last.fm…

6 Likes