Are mixtapes without blending but with DJ tags considered DJ mixes?

An example is Xzibit’s Appetite for Destruction mixtape.

Per the MusicBrainz definition of DJ mix:

A sequence of several songs played one after the other, each one modified so that they blend together into a continuous flow of music. Common techniques for this include crossfading, beat-matching, beat juggling or scratching. A DJ mix requires that the tracks be modified in some manner.

So, they are modified in some manner when compared to the same tracks on other releases, and include plenty of instances of the host DJ (Will Blast) shouting his name over them, but they’re not blended in any way, and so don’t seem to satisfy the main criteria for being a DJ mix. Or do they count as DJ mixes simply by having been modified by a DJ?

If they don’t, what might be good boilerplate text to disambiguate these specific mixtape recordings from those without the modifications?

1 Like

You can put a disambiguation comment explaining how they are different: includes DJ screams, or whatever. :wink:

2 Likes

If the general public would consider the release a ‘DJ Mix’ then I think it should also be entered as such in the database. (I don’t know, I don’t often edit mixes)

If we can agree that this is still a DJ Mix then maybe we can add some words to the doc:
“A sequence of several songs played one after the other, usually with each one modified so that they blend together into a continuous flow of music”

Or maybe it’s not a DJ Mix in which case follow Jesus2099’s advice :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s literally just hypeman stuff and yelling, I would not actually consider this a DJ mix, personally - just a mixtape with a host who happens to be a DJ but does not do any DJing here.

That’s what I did with the two mixtapes hosted by this guy, who (IIRC) just screams obnoxiously at seemingly random times):

4 Likes

It’s exactly that, yes.

OK, with all responses considered (thank you all) — and as much as I’d love to use ‘with obnoxious DJ screaming’ for all of these — I’ll instead use ‘with Will Blast tags from “Appetite for Destruction” mixtape’, in case Will Blast has ruined the same track with different obnoxious noises on another release.

2 Likes