Android app not properly scrobbling

Hello everyone!

I’ve recently started using the Android app for ListenBrainz, and I’m experiencing odd behaviour. When listening to a song (on an enabled player), it seems like a coin flip on whether its going to get picked up and recorded or not.

I’ve noticed this when listening to an album, and it submitted about ~30% of the songs from it. Additionally, I’m unsure if its related or not, but the “listening now” section is always blank (saying “No listening now found.”).

I allowed every permission it requested, added all of my music players, and set it to run unrestricted (battery optimization setting), so it should have full freedom to do what it needs.

As I’m still new here, I’m unsure whether there is something else I need to do or if this issue is covered somewhere else.

Unsure what files to submit that would be of use. The most current example I have is listening to the “0” album by Low Roar, and out of the first 4 songs, the first one is the only one that got picked up.

1 Like

Hi @Skynetexe, what version of LB Android are you using?

I’m having this too. Might be different to skynetexe but the Android app 2.6.0 has not scrobbled anything from the bandamp app for a month despite being permitted to (last sucessful submission from bandcamp app 04 February). All listening apps enabled bar call manager, all new music players enabled.

1 Like

Hello, I don’t know why it didnt notify me of your question, I’ll check the form often from now on

I am using v. 2.6.1

1 Like

Same here: just updated to 2.6.1 but no change. I can also report it doesn’t capture listens from my browser.
Also, the submission (mis)behaviour is the same
whether the app is open, backgrounded or “closed”

1 Like

Thanks for reporting, can u try re-installing the app and see if it works?

So I re-downloaded it.
I listened to a song from the built-in player, that submitted it. The listening now in the app was blank while opening the website showed the song as listening now to the side.
I then played a few things on Samsung Music, that did not get picked up, then I clicked on a song from the recent plays list from within lb, it opened yt music, and that didn’t pick up either.
I will attempt another (better) re-download soon as I doubt this one did much, as the app seemed to have remembered a few things (the list of enabled players).

Edit: No matter what I try, the app remembers my login and some basic settings (listening apps). I also need to re-allow the permissions manually as it doesn’t ask for them even though they are disabled.

2 Likes

Similar here. After a reinstall of LB I had to uninstall and reinstall bandcamp to get LB to add it to its “listening apps” section. Still doesnt recognise any playing or played tunes from other apps. I wonder if there’s a problem with how it reads android notifications (despite having that permission granted on install).

2 Likes

Feedback noted. I’ll try to report back with any updates.

2 Likes

I have tried this on a different device: a music player based on Android 9. LB yesterday would not submit listens from Auxio music player or Bandcamp app, but did submit from RiMusic. After a shut down and restart, it submitted one track after the restart using Auxio. But did not submit for the following 8 tracks also played via Auxio. So what gives with the other 8? I think given the size of this app (~123 MB) I’ll be switching to panoscrobbler (~25 MB): all the interesting LB functions are available (and more) direct from the website.

2 Likes

Hi, randomly on my phone i can now report that the LB app is suddenly sucesfully scrobbling from Samsung Internet. Listening to a “recommended for you” track via the website through samsung browser gave me at multiple simultaneous listens: a couple logged direct from Brainzplayer via listenbrainz website, several via LB app for my browser. Still doesnt respond to plays via the bandcamp app. Sorry these reports arent really sufficiently useful or precise for a developer…

1 Like