I think this post is of interest to @reosarevok so hopefully he’ll chime in.
In lieu of a schema change to handle the different tables of contents (ToCs) on SACDs, I want to make changes to the style guide that relates to the Medium Format of Releases.
As I see it it the current version has two issues:
- it permits incomplete edits “for the sake of convenience”, which, given how trivial it is to add a second identical track list, seems unnecessarily generous, and
- it does not address the multiple ToCs possible on the SACD layer.
The current de facto? approach seems to be just to “tack on” any multi-channel ToC after any existing 2-channel ToC. However I’ve seen SACDs with 2CH and MCH DSD ToCs created with the SACD medium holding only the MCH ToC. Someone wanting to record the 2CH tracks would need to add these after the MCH tracks. In any case having track numbers exceed the offical track list count is wrong.
The flow-on effect from this is that when tagging the individual files from a complete Hybrid SACD rip you end up with:
- one release
- two media
- medium one with 5 tracks (for example)
- medium two with 10 tracks (half of them with 5.1 mix in the title)
- two media
Good luck playing the second medium on shuffle
I’ve also seen SACDs with a single medium (Hybrid SACD) include both 2CH and MCH ToCs which is also wrong (it should be at least a Hybrid SACD (SACD Layer)).
Given any schema change is likely going to add 2CH and MCH medium types (to represent the SACD DSD ToCs) I propose that the style guide
- mandate the creation of releases with all ToCs, and
- mandate the 2CH and MCH ToCs be added to two separate media (both SACD Layer).
This honours the track numbers of each ToC, and will be easy to make compliant should a schema change add new media types. The two SACD layer ToCs are differentiated by the use of “x mix” in their track titles.
As a side note I wish the style guides used IETF RFC2119 language, such that phrases like “but any hybrid SACD that has been entered as two layers shouldn’t be changed” would read “but any hybrid SACD that has been entered as two layers MUST NOT be changed”.