Adding an author

What did I do wrong?

https://bookbrainz.org/work/acf92021-36aa-452d-b134-34fbef59a9d0

How do I add the author and other relevant information?
This isn’t the first entry I’ve made, so I know it can be done. I just seem to have misplaced the knowledge of how to do it.

2 Likes

hi! being able to attach author to a work isn’t possible right now, because relationships on BB became totally broken. However, the devs are working on this Right as We Speak!
We should Soon™ be able to do this again!
For adding Publications(RG) and their Editions(releases) it’s doable (but also separately) and it’s done by attaching them together within their “create” screen.

1 Like

Hey,
As CatQuest pointed out, you can separately add an author, publisher etc. using the create button. However it is presently not possible to add a relationship between them. That’s a work in active progress right now, and hopefully will be available within couple of weeks.

2 Likes

ok, so it isn’t that I forgot how.
glad to hear it.

2 Likes

I got a book, and finally wanted to give Bookbrainz a try. Felt completely lost at first, but decided for a book I probably need to add a “Publication”. Did that, looks right. But struggled a while trying to get the author set until I found this thread. Good to know I’m not just too stupid to figure it out. Any news when we will be able to add authors to publications again? It is kind of the single most important information for books aside from the title :smiley:

3 Likes

There are two features coming up to help with this. Firstly, the new relationship system will allow relationships between Works and Creators, as well as many other relationships. We’ve been working on that for the last year or so, but I’ve been finishing up the backend the last few weeks, so you can probably expect that within the next 2 months. Then, we’ll be working on creator credits, which will do the same as artist credits on MusicBrainz. That should take less time than relationships, and hopefully will be finished some time between December and January, depending on how much time people have to develop it.

Also, you can think of Publications as Edition Groups (renaming them is on the to-do list) - just like Release Groups in MusicBrainz. The main two entities in BookBrainz are Edition (a physical copy) and Work (a set of creative ideas - just like in MusicBrainz).

4 Likes