Add cover picture?

I can’t find where to add a cover picture to an Edition. Is this not supported or am I missing something?

Unfortunately we can’t add pictures to the editions, yet.
As a temporary solution, I use Open Library. I add the edition there and link it to bookbrainz. Then there is at least one scan.

1 Like

No ETA for this, right?

The only person who can answer this question is @mr_monkey.

This won’t happen before the Event Art Archive is finished. You can follow the corresponding tickets to watch the progress:

4 Likes

Well CAA-89 was created in 2016. That’s not exactly encouraging :wink:

also with no one assigned …

Yes, the priorities are not easy to understand.
The admin system and the images are among the most important things of all. To move forward, these two tasks are essential.
And yes, that’s also a small criticism of @kellnerd :wink: You are one of the best and most reliable programmers here and importing large amounts of data will certainly advance the site. But… :slight_smile: first things first…

1 Like

yesss !!! specially the images . images = :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend:
XD

I am very excited about that project as well, it is one of my three most wanted features for BB (the others are the API, which is only available on the test server currently, and the importer project).
Actually I first wanted to propose the BookBrainz Cover Art Archive (BB CAA) as a project for GSoC 2023, but I was told that the Event Art Archive (EAA) for MB has to be launched first before work on that can start.

This is because these CAAs are cooperation projects between MetaBrainz and the Internet Archive which also require work on the IA’s side. As you can see by the age of the EAA ticket (which is even older than the BB CAA one), this has been planned for a long time and the infrastructure on the side of the IA has already been set up for years, while the MB side got stuck and has only been continued recently (last year, IIRC).
So it would feel inappropriate to ask the IA to set up yet another project for us while we still haven’t finished the last one.

That was the background story, and luckily the EAA might be one of the features we will see this year… (I can’t promise anything since I am not the person who is working on it.)
If that plays out, we might be able to do the BB CAA immediately after that, basically reusing most of the work which has already been done to generalize the MB CAA and the new EAA. Only the integration into the BB website would have to be developed new.

My time to work on BB is a bit limited currently, but I would definitely love to work on that feature :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

That was the background story, and luckily the EAA might be one of the features we will see this year… (I can’t promise anything since I am not the person who is working on it.)

That would be me. :innocent: I’m very aware of how anticipated this feature is and am actively working on the edit system changes to support adding event artwork, but can’t promise how long it will take…however, I am hoping to have a pull request ready this month. It’s a very complex project, but it seems very close.

8 Likes

Thanks for the detailed information. Then we just need a little more patience :wink: