AcousticBrainz now has more than 3 million unique samples!

When someone submits a certain song or other recording to AcousticBrainz for the first time, the database counts that as a “unique” recording. On 26 December 2017, AcousticBrainz received its 3 millionth unique submission! By the end of the year, contributors had submitted another 34,298 unique recordings. In all, AcousticBrainz accepted nearly 690,000 unique submissions in 2017—60% more than in 2016.

Why were so many new recordings submitted in 2017? Well, we had a lot more submissions overall, and about 25% of them were unique. In fact, in 2017 we got almost as many submissions in one year as we did in 2015 and 2016 combined. This is largely because of a surge in submissions that began in July and continued for the remainder of 2017. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed. Here’s hoping 2018 brings even more users who add to the project’s depth and diversity!

AcousticBrainz began accepting submissions on 9 October 2014. By the end of 2014, the database had received data from more than 1.6 million recordings, about a million of which (65%) were unique. We reached 2,000,000 unique recordings in March 2016. That second million took 15 months to accumulate; the third million took 21 months.

1 million uniques: 24 December 2014
2 million uniques: 23 March 2016
3 million uniques: 26 December 2017

AcousticBrainz statistics chart

10 Likes

That is great, but I think you may get even more if there was more updates about AcousticBrainz. Is this the right place to look for updates since this channel is very quiet, or should we be looking somewhere at Barcelona University ?

I guess a big part of that jump was the introduction of submission of AcousticBrainz data into the Beatunes application

I still don’t have any idea of how accurate the algorithm is for the various different attributes calculated by AcousticBrainz ?

2 Likes