About the whole Wikidata / Wikipedia situation

That would make sense. Which page you have in mind right now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The page that pops up when I go and search for Wikidata:
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Wikidata

Still a bit basic and needs humanising.

3 Likes

I submitted a patch for this change - hopefully it will be accepted (although I know the intention is to later on have a larger overhaul of the sidebar links, I feel it’s useful to make this one more clear in the meantime).

If anyone finds some time to improve this (from the wiki page) I can review this. Otherwise, I’ll try to find time myself in a few days - now quite overworked because of my board membership duties in, ironically, the Estonian Wikimedia chapter.

5 Likes

So should we replace Wikipedia links with Wikidata ones or just add it?
I’m not 100% sure about this and the docs don’t talk much about it either, I’ve seen some entries in the past with Wikidata and Wikipedia URLs, I should have removed the URLs to Wikipedia?

Yes, you are correct - replace the Wikipedia links.

If you can point out where in the docs you were looking we can make it clearer!

1 Like

Here it says English Wikipedia links are always allowed: Style / Relationships / URLs - MusicBrainz then here Link Wikipedia And MusicBrainz - MusicBrainz says the preference is to link to Wikidata and the linked blogpost also states that there is no point in having Wikipedia and Wikidata links.

But Wikidata links should only be added to matching entity types: work with song, release group with single, etc.

So sometimes only the Wikipedia link(s) will be correct.

4 Likes

I think this is a misunderstanding because of how that paragraph is worded. I have submitted an edit to the wiki page this is transcluded from, here, to make it clearer - could you review for transclusion please @reosarevok?

4 Likes

@aerozol’s interpretation is entirely correct and the new wording more clear. Transcluded.

4 Likes