Abbreviations in community posts

Maybe when you use them, that’s what you mean. Some people find the word “fuck” offensive, so I’m not going to insert that word by default, even if I’m not one of them (see also: «Be mindful and respectful of different languages, habits and cultures.»). If you’ve never encountered either of those acronyms before, the “bowdlerised” version being used here is enough to get their meaning across. If you insist on being vulgar and potentially disrespectful, you are free to spell it out yourself (or apply <abbr> yourself—the script doesn’t override existing ABBR elements).

4 Likes

I tried once to install Discourse on my computers to test some code I wanted to submit but I was completely unable to install tools because of my versions of Windows, etc.
If I submit a PR, after having tested the regular expression itself against some examples, could you test in Discourse?

ok ftr, the bit about “inserting that word by default” is ok and valid (imho why you’d even use wtf or ffs if you don’t actually mean that word is beyond me, but ¯\(ツ)/¯ )
ditto “being mindful of other people” thing. I’d like to think that I am and I do no use swears very often.
However when you say “If you insist on being vulgar and potentially disrespectful,” just because I will say “fuck” if I Mean “fuck” (and again, I will not use it often!) does not mean I am trying to be vulgar or disrespectful to other cultures! Please don’t suggest this of me? :crying_cat_face:
Anyway I suggest using “Funk” instead of “frick” or “frak” (not words I like tbh.) as it’s Music Related (♫♪♬) and not words I would mind having my own message turned into.

ok so abbr is like
wtf ?
yay!

to keep this post on topic, some more acronyms:
ML → Mailing list
SQL → Structured Query Language
idk → I don’t know
ftw → for the win
FML → (Funk?) My Life
irl → In Real Life
MBSSSSS → MusicBrainz simple Solr search server schema

*word*

4 Likes

Or better (?), because frick frack I really don’t know the meaning and also replacing with Funk does not explain the meaning either: WTF → What’s this nonsense and FFS → I beg you, please.

2 Likes

This plugin is such a blessing for me.
I can really not learn things like e.g. and i.e., even after years on internet, and now thanks to this plugin there is that tooltip!

Actually, @Freso, i.e. is missing… or is it e.i.?

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Meaning of and differences between “e.g.” and “i.e.”

@Freso

Seems to mean « pardon me from jumping in. »

1 Like

I am so used to it I still use NAT when talking about this :slight_smile: Also because Picard still calls it “non-album tracks”, which I think is a bit easier to understand. But maybe Picard should catch up here for consistency :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another abbreviation I see in this forum:

CA -> Cover Art

2 Likes

Some more:

MCN : Media Catalog Number
UPC : Universal Product Code

1 Like

EAN = EAN code = JAN = JAN code
European Article Number = Japanese Article Number = the usual bar code

It would be nice to add barcode to the description, the words making up the acronym aren’t that interesting after all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

SPA = special purpose artist

3 Likes

@IvanDobsky What is EAC in this context?

1 Like

It’s Exact Audio Copy, a high-accuracy CD ripper for Windows, which can be configure to use MusicBrainz data.

4 Likes

@ardain sorry for TLA confusion. EAC is a ripping program found here http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Darn fine tool that for ripping CDs to WAV, FLAC (or MP3 if you must). Has an addon that will hook into the MB database to name the files and tag them.

I have tweaked the original post to more verbosely explain EAC.

But… a different question now we are in the TLA thread.

Is EAC a TLA or a product name? Though this thread is already full of other product names (MB being an example) So I guess EAC drops into that list tooooo.

Edit: Oooo - look. There is a bug in the TLA handler. It does not know that brackets are not part of the TLA. Look at the (MB in the previous paragraph… no dotted lines. So (MB) fails. And so does (MB ). But ( MB ) works.

Edit 2: Hang on… I was using a Two Letter Acronym. Which is a TLA. But the TLA hover message says Three Letter Acronym. (Yes, I am just causing trouble now :rofl: )

1 Like

It’s both, or more accurately it is a TLA for a product name (Exact Audio Copy) :wink: Product name and TLA don’t exclude each other, there are plenty of product names being acronyms.

1 Like

Feel free to fix it:

:slight_smile:

(Actually, one of the open PRs might already deal with this. I’ll try and get around to reviewing them soon.)

3 Likes

…and runs also fine with wine on linux

I would love to, but just don’t have the time or skill set to do it. I don’t have a dev environment setup or any spare time to try and understand how this all works. (Seriously - I’d be hacking at that javascript(?) and just guessing)

I was trying to be helpful by pointing out the issue. :wink:

There is also an oddity when a TLA starts a sentence. MB will have extra “B” added to it in this example.

Eh? why has dev in my first sentence gained an extra v? Ahhh… I see… Put TWO spaces in front of a TLA and it breaks.

Soooo… I have done some of the testing, and narrowed down exactly how to reproduce.

“Two spaces in front of a TLA will mean it shows an extra letter”.

“Punctuation directly before a TLA will fail to treat it as a TLA and not substitute.” So (TLA) fails. I guess .TLA also fails. That makes some sense as I guess there is no filter ignoring the punctuation.

Again, apologise for not knowing the language, but trying to read the “PRs” it looks like the edit @Jesus2099 did worked on this issue. Does that imply the plugin here pre-dates that fix?