Abbreviations in community posts

SEO = Search Engine Optimization

Background

Bot edit note: “Removing decoda URLs, since the site has seemingly become a disreputable SEO farm. See https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/MBBE-22

Goto https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/MBBE-22
Find there “weird SEO sites […] more SEO sites” but its meaning only implied (“Google Analytics ID […] Google Adsense […] Adsense ID is used”)

Goto MB Documentation search for ‘SEO’, get 1 relevant hit:
Contact - MetaBrainz Foundation : “We are evaluating advertising, traffic optimization, search engine optimization and … For inquiries about advertising, SEO optimization, or software monetization …”

Aha, ‘search engine optimization’ matches ‘SEO’.

Goto Wikipedia search hit article search engine optimization for verification of meaning, though still supposed.

(By the way, on that MetaBrainz contact page in the background, the “SEO optimization” is an ugly RAS syndrome carrier.)

3 Likes

PEBCAK = Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard

4 Likes

IIUC = If I Understand Correctly

4 Likes

There is a bug in the detection of abbreviations. Why are accented characters treated as white space?

Mario Pelchat présente Les Prêtres

Look at that text. Why is “PR” separated out even though it is in the middle of a word? It is almost as if the following “e” does not exist.

1 Like

I did a…, well…, PR, for this, some time ago. :wink:

But I was not sure if it was the best solution.

6 Likes

Here is another one.
I don’t know if it’s widespread nor what is its meaning:

IIUYC = If I Understand You Correctly

3 Likes

🤦
Maybe we should only explain MB related stuff and encourage people writing full words, somehow.

This one has only one occurrence.

5 Likes

WMP = Windows Media Player

2 Likes

MIA = Missing in action

1 Like

This.

. . . . . . . .

3 Likes

Apparently, two consecutive abbreviations are not working with the plugin.

odd are OK but even are NG: RG RG RG RG RG RG RG RG

Interesting… :thinking:

4 Likes

might be good to add this one~

4 Likes

There is another MB abbreviation, BDFL:

But it’s not that much used in the forums, so…

3 Likes

another one to add to the list?

1 Like

In MB context, this is not the English name for the Famicom TV game console (Nintendo entertainment system), no, this is the new edit system abandoned project.

3 Likes

for what it’s worth, it could be referring to the Nintendo Entertainment System, as video game music is within the scope of MusicBrainz. might do a double abbreviation for this one~

2 Likes

I don’t know if there’s any fixing this one, but the abbreviation detection seems to ignore non-basic-Latin characters, like ‘æ’

6 Likes

I think I have a fix for this in Fix non-latin characters being considered word-boundaries by phw · Pull Request #6 · metabrainz/discourse-abbrify-words · GitHub

@zas Is this something you can merge and update in Discourse?

Don’t know if it qualifies for a fancy mouse-over, but if anyone’s wondering:

OG = Original Gangster, usually used to refer to the original/first version of something

2 Likes