Abbreviations in community posts

PCMCIA: People Can’t Remember Computer Industry Acronyms.
FUBAR: F… uh, never mind. You figure it out.

But it’s exactly the state that Picard helps you make recognizable …So, there!
On that sarcastic note, I think it’s a perfectly subtle stand in title :slight_smile:

2018.5 revisited. Just noticed that, at least, plural RGs is another basic one not yet auto-magified (today’s source), so:

RGs = Release Groups

I do not know about Rs and have no time to counter the forum feature ([Ctrl + F] hijacked to tunnel vision (i.e. not searching a fully expanded thread) and search excluding both ‘Rs’ and ‘ Rs ’ as too short), but should it not be routine by now for this thread, if someone proposes XYZ, to anticipate and admin the plural XYZs also; and do a retroactive sweep of this thread while it is just some 100 posts?

The issue with plurals is that the system does not distinguish between capitalisation, so RGS and RGs (and rgs and rGs and …) are the same, so if an abbreviation in plural conflicts with another abbreviation, it can cause issues. Hence I’m not adding plural abbreviations by default until those are specifically deemed necessary/needed.

4 Likes

= If I Recall Correctly

I just had to goggle this. (search)

1 Like

CCCD = Copy Control CD

3 Likes
  • PD: Public domain
  • DP: Domaine public (public domain in French)

I have seen DP in non French sites like JASRAC.

3 Likes

AWOL = absent without official leave :thinking:? = missing.

1 Like

Sorry, had assumed it was standard word. Absent WithOut Leave. The Official isn’t in there. Military roots. Desertion - Wikipedia

3 Likes

While in the military, I was in “Courts & Boards”. AWOL was always just Absent Without Leave.

2 Likes

I have just added the ISP tag that means internet service provider.

2 Likes

First time I see this called otherwise than pregap track.
It seems more objectively correct name, but maybe rarer as well.
We should include pregap track in its definition.

1 Like

I’ve noticed in a few threads that this is missing:
XLD = X Lossless Decoder, sort of the Mac equivalent of EAC.

3 Likes

I found a way to make those abbreviation tooltips somehow work on mobile!

2 Likes

Please @majkinetor, what does DSL mean? :slight_smile:

If it’s generic enough, we can add it to our abbreviations.

Based on context I’d guess domain-specific language.

2 Likes

Or maybe it’s their internet connection “Digital Subscriber Line”.

3 Likes

Sometimes there is a TLA too far. I am like @Llama_lover and know that DSL is a technical item as part of my broadband. We don’t really need to translate everyone’s shorthand. Sometimes we should just kick the writer of the note and get them to be clearer for the reader. We have many many trades and interests all mixing here and TLA’s are going to overlap a lot. They can’t all be defined.

3 Likes

Domain Specific Language (scripting language invented by foobar, used by Picard).

3 Likes

@dashv probably meant out of print.

3 Likes

TLC = Tender Loving Care / Tender Love and Care

4 Likes