A question about a Sonic the Hedgehog compilation

Just a question about strange Japanese release specifics again. Bare with me :joy:

So the release is called True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog. Itā€™s a compilation of songs from Sonic games (not necessarily soundtrack but title themes etc., but still from the games so I donā€™t know if that means itā€™s technically soundtrack too?) so my first instinct was to credit as various artists. Somebody has credited the the sequel to this compilation to ē€¬äøŠē“” - who is referenced in the booklet but only for ā€œCompilation Produced for Release byā€, but not on the cover at all so Iā€™ll assume thatā€™s wrong. But the cover art says Sonic the Hedgehog in huge letters, CDJapan as well as Music Forest credit it to Sonic the Hedgehog, but itā€™s not on the obi/spine. So do I just stick to my gut and credit it to various, or credit it to Sonic the Hedgehog? I feel like my instinct is right but Iā€™d like to confirm before I submit something.

Also an afterthought: tracklist, lyric booklet, back cover, spine and all has all latin script in capitals, itā€™s a Japanese release but various artists and not all artists are Japanese, so in this case is it still correct to have tracklist in all capitals?

Thanks guys!

See http://vgmdb.net/album/4981 for more info (and remember to link to the url when you add it).
There seems to be multiple composers on the release.

So, credit release group to VA? I donā€™t know if I havenā€™t been clear but I was talking about the artist credits in reference to the release as a whole, not the individual tracks. Iā€™ve seen that page but it doesnā€™t say anything that I havenā€™t already seen. It says again that it was prepared for release by Jun Senoue but no indication of an artist either. But my point was that it says Sonic the Hedgehog on the front and other places seem to hint it being credited to Sonic the Hedgehog. Therefore should it still go to VA?

Iā€™d expect VA because itā€™s not really ā€œhere are some tracks by Sonic the Hedgehogā€, but ā€œhere are some tracks used in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchiseā€.

And Iā€™d probably use allcaps if thatā€™s what the release has.

1 Like

Iā€™d add this as ā€œTrue Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehogā€ by Various Artists, with each track credited to the respective performer/composer. Iā€™d set the release type as album+soundtrack+compilation.

2 Likes

Crediting it to VA makes the most sense (but probably with an AC of ā€œSonic the Hedgehogā€, based on that cover art.
If MB has a Sonic Team artist, that would also work for the release, since thatā€™s also on the cover (probably with the same AC).

Is that really an artist credit? I donā€™t see that as crediting the album to ā€œSonic the Hedgehogā€, I see that as just branding the album as being part of the franchise ā€“ somewhere between a label and a series, though not close enough to make me want to put it in either field. If we were to go with anything, Iā€™d agree that ā€œSonic Teamā€ is the best AC given that one image, but unless some other page credits them more directly the ā€œVarious Artistsā€ should be perfectly fine. As a note to everyone else, @pomparapekoluna has already added the release, if anyone wants to copy over the VGMdb info. Iā€™ll probably get to it eventally, but itā€™s not one of my priorities at the moment.

Oh, and @pomparapekoluna, since you have the physical disk, it might be nice if you could add scans of at least the back (since thatā€™s not on the other sites) and the front (to match), and preferably the booklet as well.

EDIT: Well, it is on the VGMdb page, I just canā€™t figure out how to get it big enough to actually be able to make anything out.

IIRC if you have an account you can see the big images

Ah, thatā€™s good to know. Thanks!

Well an AC just seems like the nicest way to map that cover image. It feels wrong not to represent the largest piece of text.
Could also just make it all into the title: ā€œSonic the Hedgehog: True Blue: The Best of Sonic the Hedgehogā€.

Of course, with neither spine nor obi repeating it, I suppose considering it as just a text-shaped graphic is defensible too.