A multi‐source seeder for digital releases

True, but one could argue that the correction of release countries is not a “minor edit”, since it often involves dozens of release events.

I understand your doubts about the merging procedure since it is potentially dangerous and should be handled with care. But the only alternative at the moment is to correct release data manually, which is not really feasible for widely distributed digital releases.

Were you considering using the procedure yourself or are you concerned about destructive merges?

2 Likes

For sure, it’s not a small edit, it is however minor in terms of quality or importance, at least for digital releases. I’ve seen some debate between editors whether “availability” == “released in”. Since digital rights constantly shifts, I see no point adding hundreds of countries that will inevitably be removed from a steaming platform. Let alone some editors destroying old releases to do so (which is my real issue). Let the existing releases be, and use the seeder for new ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, if they would have been created correctly in the first place than we wouldn’t need to merge them. Nothing is being destroyed by these mergers. I see no problem with it. I have no idea why some still complain about adding all the countries, especially since the list are now collapsible. Shouldn’t we want the most precise information. Also, availability in and released in are the same thing when it comes to digital platforms. Also, doesn’t matter if a store deletes a country in the future, because it was released at that time in that country. We don’t delete all the out of print physical medium just because they are no longer released.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. If an existing digital media release has correct release information (example, listing the country metadata was added from, such as France, United kingdom, or United States), how is that incorrectly created? It’s 100% accurate, and I don’t understand how that could be regarded as incorrect.

Ah I see now, good points.

1 Like
2 Likes

It wasn’t incorrect and I guess I didn’t mean it that way. It’s just not complete. Adding countries the way I do really is just to save time on my end. I try to merge to oldest when possible. I’d always merge to oldest if we were allowed to add time duration in milliseconds after creation. We can do it with importers, but for some reason not manually.

4 Likes

Is it possible to have the added counties always show 2020-04-21 by their country on releases that are iTunes only and before this date? Because technically that’s when it was released in that country, not before. I’m sure this may be difficult, but then again I tried for years to figure out how to add a script to add the iTunes countries, but marlonob must be a wiz. I’ve noticed that Deezer also actually has more countries than they list as being available on their FAQ.

It seems no one is stopping this ‘duplicate then merge existing perfect release with single release event’ behaviour, I see another user doing it:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/69121148
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/69109700
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/69107368

Am I crazy here? I tried to vote no on some of them but that hasn’t stopped anyone. Is there some internal memo saying this is acceptable (even though it seems against the guidelines)? I can think of no real reason other than maybe padding edit count.

1 Like

@marlonob noticed a bug:
If an aritst has ‘Jr’ in their name, it seems musicbrainz splits it as 2 artists:
Eg: Eric Greene , Jr. (there is also an extra space in comma)
The Whole Truth - Add Release
https://etc.marlonob.info/atisket/?cached=192562908198-d_71956342-s_5vPMkeZ1BVUUrFU3Gio6c0-i_1434738686

1 Like

I’d agree that the edit notes are a bit sober on the edits you linked to. My guess is that the editor is trying to conveniently import information from external sources into those releases. Have you left requests for clarification on your votes? Most editors are quite willing to explain their motivation.

1 Like

I’ve tried, and often met with aggression:
Most recent (an auto editor):
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/69104425
Other editor thought I was attacking them:
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/68881319
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/68880834
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/68880711
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/68880709
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/68887637

Yeah, Deleted Editor could have been more polite about it, but I guess (s)he won’t bother you any more. Fabe56 and HibiscusKazeneko seemed friendly enough, and confirmed my hunch that they are using this procedure to conveniently import UPC and release events into existing releases. So I think you will just have to rely on the voting procedure to safeguard against destructive merges. If done carefully, the merges should not destroy any existing information and of course the releases become better by the added information.

I don’t know if there is demand for modified scripts that can add UPC and release events to existing releases in a less hazardous fashion? What do others think?

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a bunch of small errors like this with all importers. That’s why you should ALWAYS throroughly check through all your edits. It’s not perfect, but extremely helpful.

5 Likes

For sure that could be awesome :slight_smile:
But in a perfect world, we also need to be able to edit track times.

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/63999187#note-63999187-3

3 Likes

So, I’ve started to dabble with a-tisket a bit, and I’ve noticed other editors using it now too… One of the things I’m noticing, is editors adding a new release with 216 release events… in 216 countries… all on the exact same date.

There are only 195 nations on Earth… (At least recognized by the UN), and even including Antarctica and stuff… it seems like rather than 216 releases, all on the exact same day, we really only need to add one, the “XW [Worldwide]” release, for that day… because that’s what it is…

Also, a clear distinction between which countries in which a release is available, and which ones it is not available would be much more useful than only one of these lists (So, you don’t have to go down the ISO list of countries by hand to figure it out.)

… Also, so that you, the human editor, can determine if this release really is limited to certain countries or not, or if it’s just some kind of random quirk, like someone forgot to set “Antarctica” but it is actually licensed there or something.

3 Likes

The way I’ve been using a-tisket so far, is mostly to start the import off of Bandcamp, Beatport, or JunoDownload, with the corresponding script from https://github.com/murdos/musicbrainz-userscripts and then use a-tisket to deal with the tedium of gathering info from Apple et al. and then I cut & paste the UPC, and the album URLs for each service…

That’s mostly it… I check that the release date is the same, and if the countries are… if there’s about 200 countries I’m just assuming that it’s released XW [Worldwide]… I check the track listing too, and the times… if they don’t match… then I investigate (read closely), and startup a second edit from a-tisket, go to the tracklist tab, click “parse tracks”, and cut the track list, and paste it next to the “parse track” text from the first import, so I can do a side-by-side comparison on the text…

This is much less tedious than what I used to do…

And it’s also much less tedious that doing both imports, and then merging them, and spending a week hoping it all works out.

Oh, and then I do the ISRC import, and check the ISRCs against the tracks on Bandcamp, Beatport, or JunoDownload. I’ve found a few mismatches, but generally everything matches.

I’ve been planning on writing a script that will query Beatport, JunoDownload, Discogs, Bandcamp, Amazon, Psyshop, and Apple iTunes/Music… because those are all the places I search when I add a new release… and it’s really tedious to do a bunch of Googling and Cutting and Pasting, every single time…

Beatport has an API by the way… Bandcamp closed their API down, but you can scrape all the info out of the album or track page… once you find the album or track page… I think Discogs has an API… Amazon probably has something, and whatever it is will probably be a pain to use because it’s Amazon… Juno has an API for vendors, but I’m not sure about a general purpose one. (Bandcamp still has an API for vendors too.) For those, I’m literally just typing the artist’s name and album name into the search field, and using my human brain to figure out which results are the album I’m looking for (created a release for on MB). um, Beatport has ISRC’s on almost everything. It really helps to figure out if two recordings are in fact exactly the same… I’ve accidentally bought the same track two or three times off Beatport, because it appeared on three different compilation albums, and I didn’t realize until after I’d purchased them, that all three WAV files were bit-wise identical. Not just identical ISRCs, but the actual PCM data was exactly the same. (MD5 hashed to the same value).

Oh, but anyway, I got distracted there for a moment… As I was saying about a-tisket… After you add a release though it, there is a page of helpful links, like direct links to the artist’s pages on Apple or Spotify, so you can add those to the artist’s entry on MusicBrainz… Since I rarely actually save any pre-filled a-tisket forms when I’m creating a new release, I can’t get to those links. If they were available on the a-tisket page, before you fill in the form on Musicbrainz, that would be really useful… (Although I don’t know if a-tisket will know the correct artist on MusicBrainz until after you’ve committed to an actual artist on MusicBrainz, cause how would it know? I haven’t looked a-tisket’s source code yet.)

1 Like

… Oh and sometimes also Soundcloud. For older stuff on CD, I check against PsyDB, and CDBaby, and whatever… I’m planning to write a script to create releases for everything on Ektoplasm which doesn’t have one on MB yet… (but I’ve been busy)

But I was going to say about artwork…Generally Bandcamp and Apple iTunes/Music have the highest resolution album artwork. With Bandcamp’s “Original” file, being the actual original file that was uploaded to Bandcamp, with all of the original metadata intact. All of Apple’s image files have been run through some kind of image processing, I haven’t had time to figure out if anything is actually changed in the image, but the metadata is stripped, and the image data is recompressed. Also, sometimes Apple will have a higher resolution image than Bandcamp, and sometimes Bandcamp will have the higher-res image. It seems to depend on whatever the person putting the content on those services happened to do that day. Album artwork on Beatport is terrible, actually lots of things about Beatport are bad… I’ve purchased several albums from them with errors – duplicate and missing tracks – which were not duplicate or missing on Juno or Apple… But they also have a lot of stuff you just can’t find anywhere else… Juno has less albums than Beatport, but more than Apple Music… There’s stuff I just can’t find anywhere on Earth except for Beatport or Juno… I generally prefer JunoDownload to Beatport for stuff that’s only available there, because Juno isn’t a mess, I mean, albums don’t have missing or duplicate tracks like on Beatport, you can buy a whole album in FLAC and not have to pay an extra US$50 for lossless (Beatport charges you extra per track, so if you get one of those “shovelware” trance compilations with 100 tracks, it’s an extra $150 on top of the $15 for just the album for WAVs without metadata, or AIFFs… on Juno, they only a reasonable amount extra to get an album in lossless format…) um, but anyway what was I talking about… So, if you’re buying trance music, my personal preference is to buy it from PsyShop or Bandcamp first, and if they don’t have it, then JunoDownload, and if it’s not there, then Beatport…

Oh yeah, album artwork… Junodownload… all the cover art is 700x700 pixels. I don’t know if it’s possible to get any higher-res… but at least it’s always the correct cover art, unlike Beatport. (Which might just be the record label logo, or a 60x60 pixel jpg blown up to 500x500 pixels, or the cover art of something else entirely… because Beatport is kinda a mess.)

Sometimes, if the record company still has a web site, I might be able to find a high res image of the cover art from a press release or release catalog or something…

You can get the “original” full-sized artwork for a track on Soundcloud by modifying the image filename like this… change the “-t500x500.jpg” to “-original.jpg” or “-original.png”, or “-original.gif”. If you get a 40* error with JPG, the original was probably a PNG, and change the name appropriately…
So…
i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000001234567-abcdef-t500x500.jpg
Becomes…
i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000001234567-abcdef-original.png

So far, most of the tracks I’ve tried this with, are not as high as the resolution of the same tracks on Bandcamp, but I’ve only tried this a few times, so it may just be those artists uploading a lower resolution image to Soundcloud or something…

3 Likes

After a release has been added to MB, just use a-tisket to search for its UPC or Deezer/iTunes/Spotify link. It will give you a hint that the release already exists and provide a link to the complementary links page:

5 Likes

If there are no disallowed countries than it is Worldwide. However, there are more than 216 “countries”. Remember, places like Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Somoa, etc. are recognized as different countries. Same goes with many other areas that are technically part of a larger country. This is why you get more than the 195 nations. However, if a release is every country, except the US (of which there are many by Rhino compilations), how can you say it technically is worldwide, if it’s not even in the US? You can say it’s Worldwide, but if someone wants to add all separately, there is nothing wrong with that. Now if there are truly no restrictions, than yes, it’s Worldwide.

4 Likes

Bandcamp, Beatport, etc. are not worldwide. Bandcamp now has label restrictions as well as the others.