Year in Music 2022!

ListenBrainz is excited to announce the release of your #YEARINMUSIC reports for 2022! Log in to your ListenBrainz and click here to see your report. Don’t have an LB account? See what you’re missing.

More details in the the blog post. This post is for any and all related discussion :tada:

6 Likes

My top artists is a real mess of genres :sweat_smile:

Recommendations welcome!

3 Likes

I love the new sharable images, but I wish there were one with more of an overview, like with my top 5 artists, releases, and recordings, maybe with a couple interesting stats thrown in, like my top listening day, top country, top genre*, or top release year~

apart from that, a big fan~ this is also the first full year I’ve logged all my listens~

*edit: perhaps top folksonomy tag might be good to throw into the mix too, that way it could pick up that you listened to a lot of hololive or video game music. could get a bit messy without filtering out stuff like “fixme” or “listened” though…

5 Likes

This was discussed, but we decided to not put in everything this year to not overload the team. I’ll put it in the ticket for next year!

There were a few existing mockups in the figma (for the grid generator that is being worked on) that I thought could pretty much suit ‘out of the box’, for instance:

4 Likes

I actually really like that mockup~ the album cover threw me off a bit, because it looked like an album grid in a frame instead of an album cover, but that’s beside the point… :melting_face:

I do kinda like the idea of a Week in Music, as is mentioned on most of the mockups, but I don’t know how much I might use it for my own listens… however, if we did it for all the users we’re following, that could be really interesting, I think~ and it might be a reason to follow people and perhaps get others on ListenBrainz too…

(as a side-note, I quite like mockup columns 3, 4, and 5~ the design this year was pretty great too~)

2 Likes

My main takeaway from my own Year in Music is that I haven’t listened to enough music.Only 23686 songs! At an average of 3 minutes per song, that boils down to 1184.3 ours of music listening or 22.8 hours per week.

It also means that two of my top ten of most listened artists (Dark Sky and LFO) are only in my top ten because I have listened to a couple of their albums just a few times to check them out (Dark Sky probably isn’t a keeper, the jury is still out on LFO). Anyway, my top ten:

I don’t know any of @aerozol’s top artists (which one is your favourite?) @UltimateRiff’s top ten is only a little less obscure (I know Thundercat and of course The Beatles). I probably have the most boring top ten so far :flushed:

3 Likes

I’ve got a similar case with MxPx, except I was listening to tag in my library, I think, and it was mostly one album with a lot of tracks

for what it’s worth, I only know Kate Bush from both of y’all’s lists, and not very well.

that actually reminds me of another idea I had… I wonder how difficult it would be to calculate minutes listened to an artist, rather than recordings. that way it would both balance out the 20+ minute progressive rock songs and the 1–2 minute punk songs (like MxPx, in my case). I know it might not be possible in all cases though, and it would likely be less accurate than say, Spotify Wrapped.

also, I’m kinda disappointed (but not surprised) that Ponies at Dawn and A State of Sugar didn’t make it to my top 10 artists. in fact, they got 2 spots on my album chart. I’m not surprised though, because they’re big Brony compilations, with like, 60 tracks and even more artists (because collabs). (granted, they’re probably technically labels, not artists…)

2 Likes

I already had a peep at your page at some point, the top 4 I am all a fan of! (Pestilence, Kate Bush, Stromae, Earl Sweatshirt)

My top artists aren’t very representative, because I tend to listen to so much new music. So anything ambient that gets played a few times while working jumps to the top, especially looong albums. I do really like Amos Roddy’s soundtracks though, really nice and chill.

If you’re after something heavy/grindy and really creative my other rec is Wormrot’s new album. A grindcore album with a lot of ‘outside influences’ that doesn’t sound like dogshit :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello! I imported my last.fm history (227,000 plays since 2016) just after new years. When I view the page it says

We don’t have enough listening data for MusicListenzGood to produce any statistics or playlists.
Check out how you can submit listens by connecting a music service or importing your listening history, and come back next year!

I was wondering if it was possible to some how have this generated for my profile? I get super excited for these kinds of things and listen to music like all day every day, so I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks!

1 Like

I recognize four of them, and you are one of my “music buddies” mind you! :smile:
But that’s OK. My main motivation for using Listenbrainz is to discover music. #2 on my list (Kettel) is such a new discovery and the bloke hails from Groningen… biking distance from my place :flushed:.

2 Likes

Some feedback on the report itself. The feature that interested me most was the “Top Missed” playlist since I wish to learn about new music. I absolutely love how I could export that playlist to Spotify and have listened through the whole thing this weekend. However, it contained quite a few tracks that I did not miss, but actually own :laughing:.

This is probably caused by my “shuffle through my collection” listening habits. I assume this problem will diminish as I saturate the coverage of my entire collection. But if I have listened to a number of tracks from the same album, it might be safe to assume that I own the other tracks on the album as well. So perhaps the generation of this list warrants an additional step that removes all tracks from albums I have listened to. Just a thought: do with it what you will :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

One common reason that a track you know appeared in missed tracks is that we may not know that you played it before – if we’ve never seen the listen from you listening to it, we have no idea. :frowning:

While the playlist isn’t perfect, it is fun to listen to, I agree with you. Thanks for the feedback!

P.S. I see your point about inferring that you may have listening to that track – an interesting idea, but a bit further our from the things we’re aiming to accomplish in the near term…

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that I was quite impressed by my “Missed” playlist, it contains many artists similar to what I listened to that I wasn’t aware of before (as opposed to just consisting of B-sides or remixes by artists I was already aware of). I think I avoided the issue mentioned above by listening to albums mostly from start to finish, even if not all tracks are my favorites :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, the issue is caused by my listening habits. Of course, I listen any new album in full first, but if that is from CD this does not register with ListenBrainz.

1 Like

Long time ListenBrainz user, but I get the message We don't have enough listening data. I was excited for this feature, can anyone help me figure out how to fix this?

2 Likes

Hi! On a quick look, it seems to be a bug in LB. I’ll look into to identify the issue and try to fix it.

2 Likes

I initially connected my spotify just before Year in Music came out and I think I had it briefly, then I removed my spotify and imported my last.fm history and it was gone after that.

1 Like

Will take a look into that as well.

2 Likes

Year in Music 2022!

4 Likes

Love Plaid and Orbital as your Top Ten Artists of 2022

2 Likes