Wrong artist

Illusion of Existence by Suicide Solution from (I assume) Ravensburg was added to Suicide Solution from Saxony-Anhalt, which is not the same band. I can’t find any good primary sources for the existence of the first one, so what do I do with the release? Do I delete it?

1 Like

Metal Archives has some details about the release, even a cover image. Looks like this was a cassette tape:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Solution_Suicide/Illusion_of_Existence/146832

So I’d say add a separate artist for the band from Ravensburg (nice little town, lived there for a while) and move the release over.

1 Like

Actually this artist was added along Illusion of Existence, and Edit #9810419 pointed it to Solution Suicide - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives so I would create a new artist for Release group “The Sun Sinks” by Suicide Solution - MusicBrainz instead (in fact, releases shouldn’t have been added to this artist to start with)

1 Like

Had a look at the artist page editing history (which I should have done before even creating this thread, oh well), and it seems it was created for a third Suicide Solution that contributed to an EBM V/A compilation. User cooperaa then added Illusion of Existence by Ravensburg SS, and To welcome Death by Saxony-Anhalt SS (who also released The Sun Sinks this year), probably thinking they’re the same band. In other words, there should be two new artist pages for the German metal bands. That leaves us where I started with this thread about lacking primary sources for the Ravensburg band. Unless having already been added once to the database is sufficient?

1 Like

You need to believe that a band never existed/was faked to remove it from the DB imo. Deletion is very much a last resort around here!

2 Likes

In this case I would fix the existing “Suicide Solution” to match initial intent (EBM V/A artist), and create two new artists with proper disambiguation, moving appropriate releases to them, along any link.
You can also add metadata you found during your research (like areas or websites).

4 Likes

All done.

2 Likes

Seems someone later added this duplicate profile for the V/A remixer and attributed some appearances. I guess I should attribute the appearances to the original profile and delete this one?

Interesting chaos here, but looks it’s mostly cleaned up now. Good work!

No, but merge them (the later into the earlier). That will automatically move the relationships, and it will preserve the old ID as a redirect.

2 Likes

I believe that’s that.

2 Likes

I think so, too.

Fun note: I tried to find out more about that Suicide Solution from Ravensburg. But the top Google and DuckDuckGo results are this thread here, the rest is mostly about some Ozzy Osbourne performance in that town.

Update: Well, the band is actually called “Solution Suicide”, and there is some information on them online at SOLUTION SUICIDE - Illusion Of Existence @ UNDERGROUND EMPIRE the ONLINE EMPIRE. I’ll update the new artist created accordingly

3 Likes

Also fixed crediting the recordings and releases for the DSBM band properly. I think it looks good now, or does someone still spot something wrongly credited?

2 Likes

I actually noticed before that the cassette cover said “Solution Suicide”, thought that was odd, and stupidly thought nothing more of it, lol. Now looking at the MA profile, it turns out they were called Solution Suicide all along, and I just misread it this whole time. Oh boy.

Oh yeah, I forgot about recordings. Looks good to me!

2 Likes