Work entity guideline

I’ve revised the guideline draft based on what’s been discussed to date.

2 Likes

I think it’s looking great, but do say if you disagree with anything I said above.

A tiny issue for the nitpickers amongst us:

The first two contain content from other works, the last two don’t. You can replace the last two with different examples (none comes to mind), or rephrase it “it contains the content from another work or is contained by another work, for example a fix-up , a poetry cycle, an excerpt, a quote”.

It took me a while to understand what the cases above are, as the expression “collection of works” isn’t mentioned above. Maybe it would be better to make it explicit: “Except for cases such as a fix-up or a poetry cycle, as mentioned above, a discrete work should not represent a collection of works.”

1 Like

Proposed guideline updated to include @blackteadarkmatter’s edits.

2 Likes

I’ve made a few minor changes to headings. Given the discussion seems to have concluded, I’d like to proceed to submit this as a pull request. If you have any objections or changes required before publication, please raise them now.

https://bookbrainz-user-guide-pbryan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/style/entities/work/

3 Likes

I’ve made a few more changes, in response to the point about [traditional] in another thread, and to address a couple of requests in the submitted PR.