Wiki cannot confirm my email address

The MusicBrainz wiki cannot confirm my email address.
It says:

Mailer returned: Unknown error in PHP’s mail() function.

Is this a known problem?

It seems like a ticket was reported in October last year that was never acted on(?):
https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/OTHER-259

@Zas or @legoktm, something you know or can do anything about? (Should it be moved to MBH?)

I also am experiencing the problem that wiki.musicbrainz.org can’t seem to confirm email addresses (see topic Wiki cannot confirm my email address, Sept 2017). This appears to be tracked by ticket OTHER-259: MB wiki fails to send mails for address verification, opened in Oct 2016 and encountered again (MBH-501) in July 2018.

Could a sysadmin perhaps look at this and post an update in OTHER-259?

Thank you,
—Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

I know @Zas and @legoktm have looked at this before, but I’m not sure they ever figured out what went wrong. Would be nice to get the wiki be able to send out e-mails again though…

@Jim_DeLaHunt : is there a ‘+’ in your new email address ? I suspect a misconfiguration causing addresses with plus in local part to fail

2 Likes

Yes, there is. I want the part before the @ to read from+musicbrainz@…

My email provider is pushing me to use + and a suffix to mark incoming mail from known sources. My understanding is that + is a perfectly valid character in the local part of an email address. But my recent experience tells me that not every website accepts it.

1 Like