Where to begin on importing a 90 disc boxed set of Beethoven

I’m looking to import the Naxos “Beethoven Complete Edition” Box Set but am feeling rather daunted by the whole process. I’ve looked to see if this release exists but so far no luck. It’s 90 CDs, some of which are previously released material (just not in this ordering).

Any hints on how best to proceed with this?

1 Like

Do you have the boxset?

The most important I think:

• enter partial boxsets as releases rather than the whole 90 CDs in one release
  • add booklet scans early so that other editors can contribute
  • add mediums one by one so that you can use the correct pre-existing recordings rather than having to merge recordings later
  • add discIDs if possible of course
5 Likes

The Naxos website for the boxset links works to their original album. That may help in finding the existing recordings.

2 Likes

That’s a good plan. Thank you.

I have the box set so I have all of the details for the discs. The one wrinkle is that the releases don’t map 1-to-1 with the existing releases (e.g.: Naxos previously released Symphonies 1 and 6 on this disc: https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.553474, whereas Symphonies 1 and 2 are on disc 1 in this collection). That was where I hesitation was with adding these as new releases, since they’re one honking large compilation release.

Thanks again!

1 Like

That’s better than the site that I found for this release. Very useful. Thank you!

Before starting on a large project like this I would spend an extra 15 whole minutes searching the MB database to make certain that the _ _ _ _ _ _ thing, or part thereof, wasn’t already entered.
I’d try searching using barcodes/EANs, badly formed titles, “conviniently” formed titles, catalogue numbers, rare Artists. And not rely on search results being prioritised in a editor friendly manner. Something that you might expect on page 2 may not turn up till page 9. Or pg 12.

1 Like

Believe me, I’ve done many searches for this collection in the hopes that it would somehow materialize in the interim. I’m not a fan of doing more work than I have to. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gotta start somewhere.

https://musicbrainz.org/release/e537fa5b-c94d-4348-8c55-926256cb53c7

4 Likes