What does this mean in the tutorial?

G’evening,

Trying again baby steps to learn this complex program :mask:

In this tutorial: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/quick-start/

Step 9, it says: “If there is an incorrect match, simply drag & drop the track to its correct spot.”.

How to drag what to what?

I have an Adele song that is 8.05 minutes in ‘original value’, but in all the stuff Picard found it is 5:54. Foobar reports back it really is 8.05, so: how to drag what to what?

Thank you very much for any help,

Bye,

1 Like

That’s mostly for when a file ends up matched to the wrong track in an album (happens sometimes, especially if the names are just Track 1 etc). If you have something that doesn’t match any of our data, then the issue is clearly deeper than that, and you should check whether the time is indeed correct (play it, maybe it has silence at the end or something?) and if so, maybe you just have a version not in MusicBrainz yet! (which would probably need adding, then)

Thank you. The time is right, I already checked, so what do I need to do now with “simply drag & drop the track to its correct spot.”.?

You’ll first have to find a release with the 8-minute track on MusicBrainz and load it into Picard (if you have used the browser lookup, there should be a green “tagger” icon on the top-right corner of every release on MusicBranz, clicking it loads the release in Picard). You can then drag the file from the wrong release to the right one.

If there’s no release with that version of the Adele song on MusicBrainz yet, you can add it.

Thank you. Yet, what means:

@aerozol, do you have the magic gif tool handy for a quick explanation maybe? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In this case, the correct spot would be the 8-minute Adele track on the appropriate release.

Thank you. Yet, what means:

"simply drag & drop the track to its correct spot.".?

I was in university studying IT in 1987 and beyond, and in being there was on the internet way before the billion of consumers where on it, thank you. I like to think I am not completely retarded.

Where, how do I ‘drag and drop’ ‘the track’ 'to its ‘correct spot’?

You can’t drag or drop anything in this ‘GUI’, and the tuto leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry for being irritated, it’s a human nature thing. Soon our robotics@google will have solved that problem too.

I already explained how you should load the correct release into Picard. Once it’s there, you can drag the file from the wrong track on the wrong release to the right track on the right release. It’s not rocket science.

It is true that the tutorials leave a lot to be desired. But so do your manners.

“I already explained”.

Sigh.

“But so do your manners.”.

Like wise. Dutch, I assume?

1 Like

Haha. Here, have a hug.

This person actually DID understand my question.

Hi @DonBello,

I agree, those instructions only make sense if you already know the answer. :slight_smile:

So, here’s what’s going on in the image that corresponds to your question.

Files from the middle pane are matched to releases/recordings from MusicBrainz in the right pane.

In the image, a set of files has been matched to a release in the right pane. One of them is a poor match, as indicated by

• the yellow icon (where the good matches are green), and
  • the metadata at the bottom, which shows that the existing tags for that file don’t perfectly match the proposed new tags.

To fix this, you can click on “Afire Love” in the right pane and drag your file off of the track, either back to the middle pane or to a better match.

What the image doesn’t show you is a better match. (Sigh. I’ll look into replacing the image and clarifying the instructions).

To find a better match, you might try a few things.

• You can right-click on the album title in the right pane, and select other versions, which might let you select a different edition of the album, one which matches your tracks better.
  • If other versions doesn’t work, you can search MusicBrainz manually for the correct track, and use the green “tagger” button to load it into Picard (it will appear in the right pane).
  • If manually searching fails, the track may not be in MusicBrainz. In this case, if you’re adventurous, you could add it :slight_smile:

Once the correct track is loaded into the right pane, you can drag your file onto it (from the poor match, the track with the yellow icon).

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

CallerNo6 has answered in detail, I will add a gif to make the dragging and dropping clear:

btw @DonBello I absolutely agree that this feature is not very well explained in Picard!!
Which is a shame, because once you start using it, Picard gets sooo much better.

Basically:
Left side, your files
Right side, database entries

Match them up correctly for great success!

Let us know if there’s anything else that’s not clear :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Your AniGifs are extremely helpful, @aerozol
A simple “Like” isn’t good enough for your work! I hope that someone collect your AniGifs and re-use it on the documentation pages.

1 Like

Thank you very much Caller06 and Aeorozol (challenging nick :grin:).

I’m still very confused. It starts, Caller06, because you are mentioning a middle pane, yet I only see a left and right (twice: top, and bottom). That specifically means my limited brains implode with this:

“To fix this, you can click on “Afire Love” in the right pane and drag your file off of the track, either back to the middle pane or to a better match.”.

Aside from the missing middle pane, what does this mean: “drag your file off of the track”? Off what track?(?)

Aero, sorry, I have no clue: you’re quickly dragging a green (ok) 03 away, then dragging something back, and then I have no clue, sorry :frowning:

Yes, sorry, there’s no formal terminology. I interpret the image I posted as three panes across the top and one across the bottom. The “left-most” pane is the file browser, and is an optional view. The “right” pane is where MusicBrainz data is loaded (and matched to your files). The “middle” (in that image) is where you perform operations on your files (like scanning, lookups, and AcoustID submissions).

I agree, this kind of breaks the “drag/drop” mental model. If I try to explain again, I’ll probably only make it worse, so instead can I walk you through an exercise? Do this in Picard (but do not click Save at any point!)

1. pull a single music file from your library into Picard. It doesn’t matter which one, but it needs to be one that has not yet been tagged by Picard
    • to do this, drag a file into the middle/left pane (depending on your perspective :slight_smile: )
    • if Picard loads the album automatically and moves your file to the right pane, then your file has already been tagged by Picard. Go find a different one.
  2. load an album into the right pane. It doesn’t matter which one. Any album at all.
    • to do this, open a web browser and navigate to any release in MusicBrainz (← I picked one for you :slight_smile: )
    • the title of the release is a link. drag/drop that title from your b)rowser into Picard’s right pane. You should now see the album load in Picard.
  3. Expand the tracklist of this newly-loaded release (by clicking the “+”)
  4. Drag your file from the middle/left pane onto any track on the right. Notice that the icon for that track has changed from a musical note to an indicator that tells you if the track is a good match for your file. (red is bad, green is good)
  5. Select (click on) the track in the right pane, the one that you dragged your file to. The bottom pane should now show you the old tags (your file) and the proposed tags (the track from MusicBrainz). If you’ve done this randomly, it’s probably a pretty bad match.
  6. Now, try “dragging” your file off of the track and onto another one. Think of it as your file sitting on top of a track I guess.
    • It’s probably still a terrible match. Again, do not click save!
  7. Now, try dragging your file out of the right pane entirely, back to the left/middle pane.
    • there are times when you’ll want to do this so that you can continue “working” with that file, to perform operations like submitting AcoustIDs.

Sorry if that was long. I hope it was helpful.

3 Likes

You are VERY kind, Caller, thank you VERY much.

I wanted to send you a PM to thank you, but I’m yet to find where that is hidden.

You’re in the US? I’m in The Old World (:laughing:), Europe, otherwise, I’d suggest a Teamviewer session, but we’re probably gonna hate each other because of the time zone differences :smiley: