What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

Now that we have artist pages, a small thing I would love to see is an artist search box to go with the user search box to make it easier to quickly look up artists.

5 Likes

I think a unified search would probably make the most sense for ListenBrainz, actually, where you can search for stuff without having to select what kind of entity you’re looking for

related ticket (but not exactly, despite the title… lol)

7 Likes

For the new album pages maybe a cover art browsing feature? Allow users to view full size/full screen, and maybe flip through all the cover arts available?

2 Likes

In case you haven’t seen this, Open Scrobbler has this option (last.fm only :cry:). You can search for an album in Spotify or Discogs and then choose which tracks to submit and when. Might be useful to check out for ideas. I’ll check out the tickets later.
Options for scrobbling

Example partial scrobble of album

1 Like

Bit silly, but I’d like to be able to listen to “my musicbrainz edits”

7 Likes

As of now, the public playlists of ListenBrainz are public indeed, but not easily discoverable for other users.

• I would find a way to search public playlists by name or by tracks contained very useful. This mitigates the discoverability issue of public playlists.
  • Also, a “contained in” section for track / album / artist pages that lists public playlists that contain this track / some of the album’s / artist’s tracks, like the “discovered on” section in Spotify (e.g. Spotify – Web Player) would be a great addition to boost playlist discoverability.
  • The ability to love (or optionally also hate) public playlists could boost social features of ListenBrainz and encourage users to create well-curated playlists to share with the world, and could ultimately lead to users discovering new and good music through playlists. See ticket LB-1353
  • Another welcome addition would be the ability to send join requests for public, collaborative playlists that the playlist owner can accept or reject (or disable join requests if this is not desired). This one is not my top priority suggestion, but i’m throwing it in the ring anyway.
8 Likes

Ticket here for that one for people to +1

3 Likes

Discovered that i already upvoted that ticket and didn’t remember :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I agree with this!

Listenbrainz was an amazing find when moving away from last.fm to an awesome opens-source alternative.

Now I’m trying to move away from Spotify and have found myself trying out a few different streaming services and sadly having to resign to recording in last.fm (and importing to listenbrainz whenever I remember).

It would be great to see new services connected for tracking listens. I’ve had a brief look around myself and it looks like there was mention of Apple Music support but I’ve been unable to see what’s come of that.

I’d be happy to help contribute to these features, any tips/guidance on where to start looking to add new services or providing testing time then let me know!

6 Likes

Some kind of tag word cloud on the user stats page would be great.

5 Likes

I’m not personally a big fan of word clouds myself, but I’d also love to see tags and genres in more places~

5 Likes

I have a bunch of self-coded widgets, like lists and artist name clouds, that I’ve ported from last.fm to LB. This is partly philosophical and partly because I never figured out how to request a last.fm API token so I had been (cough) using one that someone left in their project.

The one thing I miss the most is the concept of trailing month and trailing week - not this month and last month as LB implements them, meaning roughly calendar month, but the last four weeks or last seven days. So that my lists reflect continuous recent activity and don’t empty themselves on some arbitrary day.

I mentioned this in a post I can no longer find and someone recommended putting the request in some other tracker somewhere. Is it enough to mention it here or should I go upvote or create a ticket in another system?

8 Likes

Pages on ListenBrainz for artists, releases and recordings are an obvious choice, but I’d like to see pages for works. It’d be a cool way to see how popular the assorted remixes, acoustic versions, live performances, covers, etc of a song are.

7 Likes

I’ve only recently got into this, so sorry for a late post. A similar idea was developed for foobar2000, to find your actual listening preferences taking due account of the time cost of longer tracks:
DADA music rating algorithm
Instead of tracking the actual time spent listening, it uses instances of listens and the track duration, which is probably easier. Then it weights that against the size of your music collection to uncover all sorts of things.
There’s also another foobar2000 user, Regor, who is developing similar things currently…
Regor foobar2k playlist tools including spotify-like recommender based on listen history

2 Likes

OngakuKiroku should work for you.

1 Like

I would really like to be able to see my similarity to a user when on their profile, especially artists we have in common. It’s not like there’s a lot of social features but I think since we do a similarity assessment site-wide anyway we probably already know how similar any one user is to any other one user.

10 Likes

As someone who loves to talk music, it would be nice to be able to see “Oh hey you like them? I like them too!”

3 Likes

made a ticket for this, as I’d love to see it too~

5 Likes

Today I see news of a few things in KPop such a group ending, and members leaving. Made me think of something that would be neat to have. Last.fm already has their little graphs showing listen history over the last 6 months or something. But it would be neat to take that idea further and make a Listening Timeline. Show various events on the graph like new releases, member changes, group disbandment, concerts, etc so you can easy see how these events cause spikes in listens.

9 Likes

+1 to this~

adding to the idea (and this might only work for some artists), but we could even do a stacked area chart which shows what albums are being listened to (could do tracks too, but that would be a lot, methinks). random example from the Google machine:

5 Likes