What do YOU want in ListenBrainz?

Something I would like is to be able to link MusicBrainz private collections and use that as sources for either new suggestions (additionally to listens) or to (more importantly for me) exclude tracks from new suggestions.

I have a collection with most of my CDs, and ListenBrainz keeps suggesting me to listen tracks I have in this collection but that I don’t have in my listens. It would likely improve recommendations made to me if they were considered as previously listened.

7 Likes

I agree, but I think there should be options with how collections interact with collections. for example, I’d like to be able to include stuff in my collection in recommendations, as I don’t always listen to albums when I get them, so I might miss a hidden gem or two here and there

semi-related ticket here

5 Likes

Ok I’ve sort of mentioned this elsewhere but putting it in here too for maximum visibility
I would very much like for there to be a way to (at the very least) link to a release or release group. Even better if it can just use the release MBID submitted with tracks if present. In general I feel like Listenbrainz is very bad when it comes to handling releases. It just doesn’t work. It seems that it selects a random release for a recording and calls that a day, but this has a lot of issues. For example: a recording can exist across multiple release groups. Say it’s released as a single first and then included in an album later. Right now Listenbrainz has no way of distinguishing the two. It will just pick one and say that’s the one. This is, quite frankly, incredibly frustrating. Doubly so when recently most of my new listens are not actually mapping to a release automatically leading to those releases not showing up in my stats
I submit release MBIDs with my tracks and it actually displays the correct release on the listens page (this is the only way I know of currently to specify a release), however it is seemingly not possible for this to then be reflected in the stats page which continues to use the auto-matching result
I hope it’s clear why this would frustrate me or any other potential user - these statistics are wrong and there’s no way to correct them seemingly

11 Likes

My main playlist that I play on shuffle has grown past 1,000 tracks. A few times now I had someone mention, or stumble on information showing how a lot of tracks I enjoy were written by or composed by the same person despite the tracks being performed by different artists. With the amount of tracks on in my “library” it would be hard if not impractical to try and find writers and composers who’s music I tend to enjoy.

I think a nice feature would be for ListenBrainz to not just understand which tracks I like based on my listening, but find commonalities like writers and composers and such and present them to me. I am unsure how or where this should be displayed. Maybe just extra recommendations like “We noticed you enjoy these songs written by ___ here is a playlist of others they wrote”?

5 Likes

I think it’d be cool if we could implement from either importers like stats.fm and the like or import CSV files from Spotify history directly in ListenBrainz.

4 Likes
1 Like

A functionality to transform/migrate a recording series from MusicBrainz into a ListenBrainz playlist. Or something similiar, like the “Play on ListenBrainz” button for releases.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I quite like the idea :slight_smile:
I opened a ticket to track this: [LB-1355] Allow importing/playing a MusicBrainz Series - MetaBrainz JIRA
We might not get to it for a while, but we have already discussed various ways to make playlists/radios from curated MusicBrainz data so this fits right in !

6 Likes

I tried to search and couldn’t find a previous mention of this:
I would love a feature added to the stats page showing a persons top discoveries for the period, similar to the feature on https://lastfmstats.com/
Mine for example

Average scrobble date for tracks with at least 10 scrobbles, sorted descending

These may not show up in a persons normal top listens for the period, so it would be different from existing top lists on the stats page. It would be great to browse similar users and see their top discoveries to find new songs to check out that they like.

4 Likes

This is somewhat niche but maybe a filter for viewing stats? I listen to a lot of chillhop in the background, and I don’t particularly listen to the songs, just having it as background noise. And it sort of crowds up my top albums, which is a bit annoying. Maybe some sort of genre or name filter?

5 Likes

Not sure if I’m missing something (only been using Listen/MusicBrainz for a couple months now), but I’d love to easily be able to see how many times I’ve listened to a specific track.

Some ideas on how to present it:

• A counter badge on the main page of scrobbles
  • a listens tab on the MusicBrainz listing (not sure how technically challenging)
  • a drilldown function in ListenBrainz to see the number of times

Again, if I missed something on to do this already, please let me know, but also please consider some additional ways to access the info!

Love the products so far! So much better than LastFM!

4 Likes

that is a much needed feature, which I imagine is likely to be on the upcoming entity pages on ListenBrainz (for recordings, releases, artists, etc.)~

on this point, I think a total listens count on MusicBrainz would be a great cross-link between the two databases, like how we already include CritiqueBrainz reviews on their own tab

2 Likes

Obsessions( https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/LB-1260 ) feature from earlier in this thread: I’ve been thinking more about the feed and think in addition to showing a list of the users obsessions they could be announced in the feed

MusicListenzGood is currently obsessing over Babyface by WJSN

I have no knowledge of how the system works, but it already shows songs people you are following are listening to, so this would just need to check if the previous songs were the same and there is enough to meet some requirement to be considered an obsessions.

1 Like

Maybe a little notification in the corner on Mondays asking if people want to go to the art creator and share their #ListenBrainzMonday? I know it’s still technically in beta but when it releases, would be a good way to spread the hashtag

5 Likes

Kind of related to this, but it would be awesome to have a bit more control over to what release the recording is resolved, even if no release MBID is submitted.
Some people may prefer their listens to be resolved to the Album release of the track, others (like me) would like it better if the listens would be matched to the Single release instead.
Maybe some priority order of (MB) release types that is taken into account when mapping to a release…

6 Likes

Just a thought. ListenBrainz keeps track of the music you listen to. Would it make sense to also keep track of music events you visit? This option would also help MusicBrainz out, because it would motivate me to add all concerts I go to as events to the MusicBrainz database.

6 Likes

You probably know this, but for others who stumble on this post, we already have event collections in MusicBrainz.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t surface them in LB, the opposite really, it means we already have a structure for LB to use :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Don’t think I remember anyone mentioning this before(forgive me if I forgot).

I think a neat feature could be a rating of how diverse a persons taste is. So many people like to say they have diverse tastes, so I think we need a rating to prove or disprove this! :smiley: Could take into account things like number of different genres listened to, different countries, number of artists relative to songs, dates the music was released, etc. and spits out a simple number rating how diverse your taste is(maybe relative to all other LB users).

In a way similar to the similar user score, but at the same time different. I imagine a person could have a very low similarity listening to a single artist that no one else does, and they would have very low rating for diversity. Where as someone with diverse taste could have someone rated very high in similarity.

8 Likes

I’ve just started using playlists on ListenBrainz, and it’d be great if:

• it could use the streaming track URL associated with the recording, from MusicBrainz.
    • Right now the ListenBrainz player seems to try and find the closest matching YouTube video, which while pretty good doesn’t hit it 100%. For example, my Best of 2023 has some tracks from Eurovision, and Samo mi se spava and Cha cha cha go to the live versions even though I added them for the studio recording, while Who the Hell is Edgar goes to the music video for the studio recording. If this is already done, guess I gotta start adding some YouTube Music URLs lol
  • the description allowed line breaks and formatting
  • playlists could be organised in folders or grouped
4 Likes

I’ll second all three points here~ in fact, I’ve already got a ticket in for playlist folders/categories~

3 Likes