Very large organizing project that exceeds MusicBrainz capabilities

Not sure which “promise” was made, nor what is a CMO.

Picard is able to handle hundreds of thousands of files at a time.
When a collection was properly tagged, tags can be updated over the time without starting over. So, in this case, one may load a lot of files at once.

The limit usually stands between the computer and the seat. You, as inexperienced user, with thousands of unorganized files, are unable to manage more than few hundreds of files at once.
Especially when your collection is an “huge mess” to start with. Don’t expect the best vacuum cleaner to also wash your dishes.

I guess you are aware that Picard is a 20+ years old app, which is recognized as one of the best tool to tag huge collections of files, with a large basis of users with very different profiles. If it was that disconnected from its users the project would be dead since a long time, open source world has no pity.

That said, the UI (and the rest) can be improved, and we are constantly working on it.
As open source devs, we are listening to our users, but we also have to manage priorities due to limited resources.
You are welcome to help us, including suggesting UI improvements, for that you have to create detailed tickets with mockups of what you expect.
Of course, you can also donate to MetaBrainz Foundation.

To me, you expect too much from MusicBrainz Picard, that’s not a magic wand, but a flexible tool that actually requires some work from the user; and that starts by reading the documentation.

PS: MB stands for MusicBrainz (which is, mainly, the music database), the tagger program is MusicBrainz Picard (or just Picard).

9 Likes

I don’t get why you are trying to attack people who are trying to help you. In this thread you have users and devs. Trying to help. No need to try and rip replies apart.

We get it, Picard isn’t written for the way you do things. Your idea of “standard settings” is very different to other people. Many of us do need Picard to work in the way it does. Many of us are really fussy about the exact edition of a Release we own.

You also seem to refuse to want to grasp that you need to check results as you go along. No program is going to be able to take thousands of badly tagged music files in and get everything right first time.

I hope AudioRanger works well for you. It does seem better focused to your required way of working.

10 Likes

Well maybe, but what is your problem?

How about an end-user problem statement like:
I want to play my music on my iphone, but when I do xxx happens. How do I stop xxx happening?

1 Like

This topic is clearly not going anywhere, with the OP continuing to go in circles instead of looking at the documentation they’re linked to or answering the questions they’re being asked, in addition to continuing to insult and disparage community members and developers. I’ve closed this topic now and the OP will be gone for a while on a timeout.

6 Likes

Support for dBpoweramp ripper logs was added in https://github.com/metabrainz/picard/pull/2151

4 Likes