Repurposing of items considered harmful

That is good news.

I have never read the book (it is on my list), but I know a bit about it as a Czech friend claimed it was the “greatest book ever written”. I will reserve my judgement until I read it!

1 Like

It is very good, though I haven’t read it in a while! I’ll read it again soon.

And in my case a treasured possession from my grandparents house :heart:
I didn’t think my grandad had read a book in his life but he cracked up when he saw me reading this one, years ago.

p.s. thanks for fixing the entry

1 Like

I haven’t followed the guidelines for works but obviously it’s possible to have works as part of works in BB. See for example The Lord of the Rings. (BTW: Each volume contains two parts.)

According to english, german and Esperanto Wikipedia Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války is one novel consisting of several parts. So I don’t understand why it should be a good practive to either repurpose the item as the first part or even delete it.

Why not create the parts one to four of the novel as part of the work instead?

That’s what we have in one volume as a german translation.

And again: @Goldilox, you didn’t change/delete the links to Wikidata, OpenLibrary and LibraryThing and of course didn’t change/delete the link from Wikidata to BB. Such edits should never be a good practice.

1 Like

There has been discussion in the Forum about The Lord of the Rings: "written by/wrote" relationships on Editions and Edition Groups (e.g. Tolkien)

By definition it is a collection, however the decision was made to keep the Work until such time as a way of dealing with series is implemented.

Wikipedia describes The Good Soldier Švejk as a novel, but then details the various volumes which were all published separately. It also gives English titles for the fifth and sixth volume which as far as I can ascertain were not published as separate volumes in English. As I discovered over the years, Wikipedia is a great resource but it should be approached with caution. I have found a litany of errors in various articles, some of which I have corrected.

Goodreads treats Osudy dobrého vojáka Švejka za světové války as a series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/97625-osudy-dobr-ho-voj-ka-vejka-za-sv-tov-v-lky

The German edition that you cited is an omnibus and I have already discussed that above.

I did look at the links and I thought they had some relevance, but I see you have removed them. You were the one that added them, so that’s your call.

I strongly disagree with not treating collections, anthologies, omnibuses, etc as unique Works. However, this is a community sourced website and if there is a consensus of opinion on a subject, then there are two options: either walk away or learn to live with the situation. I fought a very bitter campaign to include these formats as Works on Bookogs and eventually I succeeded. There were some people that left the site because of that decision. Personally, I haven’t got the energy to go through that process again.

For anyone interested in a bit of light reading: https://web.archive.org/web/20200809150547/https://books.discogs.com/forum/426739-is-the-title-of-a-collected-work-considered-a-works-credit

My username is shown as Anaideia and SextonBlake. From memory I got so sick of the arguments I left for awhile.

Wow, I feel happy that this discussion was led when I took a pause just because “works” weren’t implemented.
Just reading it is exhausting me and it reminds me that I wanted to add the “Martian Chronicles” a few weeks ago but stopped because I felt that this “work” has to be added as a work,

2 Likes

ISFDB categorises it as a collection: Title: The Martian Chronicles

It is a fix-up novel with a mixture of previously published short stories and new material. I even used it as an example in a Forum discussion: Collection / Anthology title = unique Work title - #4 by Deleted_Editor_2146972

@indy133 I have created the Works for The Martian Chronicles and an Edition Group. Enjoy!

1 Like

I did…great job…thx :candy:

1 Like

I am proposing the addition in the editor page of a link that redirects to MusicBrainz emailing page, which we can use while one is developed for BookBrainz.

This should give a slightly more accessible option to send a message to another user. What do you think?

Of course this is not intended to replace the related feature of getting email updates of entities I’ve previously edited.

4 Likes

It can’t hurt.

I experimented sending an email today. I discovered that I had to change my email settings for the “Send me an email when someone messages me” setting from the default “never” to “always”. Eventually we had some success.

If someone hasn’t updated their email settings then you wouldn’t know if the email has got through or they have simply chosen to ignore it.

@GLBW like you I assumed the language on the Author editor page refers to the person’s native language.

That is not the intended use according to the community: What is the “Language” field for

Instead it is used to specify the language which uses the particular form of the name. In most cases that will be “Multiple languages”, unless a unique language can be identified. Wikidata is one of the best sources for that information.

1 Like

A bit off-topic, but it bothers me enough to respond:

That’s a very nasty topic title the OP decided on.

Especially since he mentions the name of a member in it, and calls him names, while this editor obviously puts a lot of work and effort in contributing to the database, and gives it a lot of thought and consideration.

People in the future will find and read this topic and associate the name of this editor with being ‘a vandal, a bully’.

In my personal opinion it would grace the OP if he edits the title to something more civilized. (if he has his initial frustration a bit under control now)

6 Likes

I appreciate your support, however eight years on Discogs has blunted my ability to be offended. Sticks and stones…

P.S. I see the title has been changed. Hopefully, instead of squabbling we can now work together to make this a successful database. That is my only aim.

1 Like

People with confidence usually don’t get or feel offended.
But associating somebody’s name in public with a negative will easily stick with people who have no clue about the truth.
(a story about a sheepherder that in his life had build bridges, had taken care of the sick, saved a kid from drowning, risked his life fighting enemies, but got a nickname and a reputation because he once had a tender moment of weakness with a sheep comes to mind :wink:

3 Likes

The only problem I see is that most of the BB/MB generated e-mails are placed in most cases in the spam folder. I’m afraid we won’t reach users via e-mail when we don’t reach them via @user pinging.

But as goldilox wrote:

1 Like

My compliments to @GLBW for his quick action to this little rumble in the jungle :wink:

4 Likes

Some of my best friends are sheep :sheep:

From now on that is how you will be remembered.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m not quite sure if I won’t miss the combination of @goldilox and the word “vandalism”.
It always put a smile on my face and who knows:
Someday when dictator goldilox will be ruling BB with iron hands we might have forgotten the only one, who foresaw everything.

2 Likes

I don’t really get it either (but I’m not a editor of BB).

If someone would like to correct the edition to reflect and relate to everything ‘correctly’ it would be very helpful for me to see how things are meant to be: Die Abenteuer des braven Soldaten Schwejk (Edition) – BookBrainz

I had added each book as a work (1, 2) linked to this one edition (these should be removed I’m guessing?). I would have a crack but my BB login has stopped working.

Am I understanding it correctly that currently there should be a work for every story/book as first published, and then any collected edition of these should be linked to all contained works? ¯_(ツ)_/¯