Updating all tags except artist, album, tracknumber and songname

Hello!

My 10,000 songs are all correctly tagged with this pattern:
“Artist - Album - Tracknumber - Title”

I’d like those four to stay as they are but I want all others, most importantly ‘genre’ to be filled from the Internet.

Now, after a few runs with various lastfm plugins and having these 4 tags excluded in the options, I still can’t seem to manage. Does anyone know some kind of guide?

Thank you!

[quote=“HansLach, post:1, topic:214266”]…but I want all others, most importantly ‘genre’ to be filled from the Internet…[/quote]What exactly do you mean with “all others”?

There is no known source providing “the perfect” Genre. Genre is very subjective. Play a song and ask 5 friends what Genre they would apply. I’m sure you get at least 3 different answers.
Even if you find sources providing a Genre for a particular song it’s highly possible that you don’t agree with this recommendation.

Just as a reminder: http://www.musicmap.info/

What exactly do you mean with “all others”?

For instance the Year or an imbedded cover picture, whatever is available, really. Genre is most important to me.

Even if you find sources providing a Genre for a particular song

I thought that was the purpose of lastfm plugins …

I believe there is a plugin that will allow you to specify tags to “keep” (not change) with a script

I believe there is a plugin that will allow you to specify tags to “keep” (not change) with a script

Well, “keep tags” can add the $keep() function “to delete all tags except the ones that I want.”

But that’s not what I want. I want to keep the four tags mentioned and overwrite as many others as possible from an internet database, most importantly the “Genre”.

You’re right, sorry. There’s a simpler solution, anyway. Under Options > Tags, enter the musicbrainz name for the tags you want to preserve in the box under “preserve these tags from being changed or overwritten…” (you can generally find the tag name by trying to edit the tag in the bottom part of the window)

The only catch is that if one of those tags doesn’t already have a value, Picard will still fill it in.

1 Like

Ok, Thank you! I thought I tried that already, but I will do so again.

The trick can be naming them right. I believe it’s case sensitive, among other things.