Update music library's genre without touching title and artists

hello ,
Can musicbrainz picard helps me update the genre tag of my library songs for the empty ones or the one that has “Other” without touching the title and artist.
Regards

MusicBrainz does not currently support genres on its own, though some editors are using the tagging system for this.

Source: https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Genre

Do you really want to use this “tags” as Genre?

In addition to using folksonomy tags for genre, there are also a number of plugins for Picard that allows pulling in external sources for genre data, such as Last.fm or Wikidata.

According to this topic, the last.fm plugin doesn’t work(although there’s a link to a modified version). Is that still accurate?

Yes, that’s possible. As mentioned above MB does not explicitly support genres, but folksonomy tags can be used for it. Picard itself has basic support for this using MB folksonomy tags, alternatively you can use the Last.fm plugin from GitHub - fdemmer/Picard-Last.fm.ng-Plugin: A last.fm-tag plugin for MusicBrainz Picard.

There is also a plugin in the works to pull genre information from Wikidata, not sure how usable it already is.

Regarding tagging only specific tags you can configure Picard to preserve specific tags in the options. There are already a couple of topics here discussing this.

I think your comment is misleading, as e.g. Picard can use the folksonomy tags for genre tagging and genre was one of the leading considerations when folksonomy tags where introduced. There are many use cases for folksonomy tags, but genre is maybe the most important one.

[quote=“outsidecontext, post:5, topic:172353”]I think your comment is misleading, as e.g. Picard can use the folksonomy tags for genre tagging and genre was one of the leading considerations when folksonomy tags where introduced[/quote]Maybe you should change the linked MB Wiki entry with your answer, deleting the text “Integrating genre support is planned though, see below for more information on this…” :wink:

1 Like

This plugin still has bugs so I would wait a little before you use it.
This plugin will look up musicbrainz entries and see if someone has linked these to a wikidata entry.
It then looks up wikidata and extracts the genre property and saves the genre tag.

This plugin currently looks at release-groups and album artists.
It can look at track artists but there is a threading bug there somewhere so I have turned this feature off.
I am planning on looking up works as well.
Wikidata has the genre name in multiple languages so it should be possible to save this in your locale.

You can download this from github from the following, feedback welcome:

1 Like