Unstable lists in Picard

Picard Version 2.1.3, Python Python 3.7.4, PyQt 5.12.2, Qt 5.12.4, Mutagen 1.42.0, Discid discid 1.1.0 (compat layer from python-libdiscid 0.4.1), libdiscid 0.6.2, astrcmp C, SSL OpenSSL 1.1.1c FIPS 28 May 201.

Recently I faced the following problem: Various metadata lists in Picard are unstable.

For example, recently I tagged an album. A track has two artists in “performer” tag, lets name them “A” and “B”. Originally, they were saved in this order: “A; B”.

Sometimes I run Picard again to get changes made in MB since the last tagging. Picard shows that many tags are changed, including the “performer” tag. However, the change is insignificant, now Picard shows “performer” tag as “B; A” (instead of “A; B”). The same performers in different order.

This is inconvenient. I would like Picard save lists (composers, performers, etc) in some stable order (e. g. sorted alphabetically) to avoid such “false changes”.

Does the Sort Multi-Value Tags plugin not do this for you?

1 Like

Does the Sort Multi-Value Tags plugin not do this for you?

Yes, “Sort Multi-Value Tags” will likely solve the issue.

Actually, Picard now has a built-in $sortmulti() command. This is described in the on-line Picard Users Guide.

1 Like