Understanding Who did What in the cover arts

I am trying to edit relationships in the release: https://musicbrainz.org/release/ff192604-d06a-44a1-9ab6-9e55276efba3 based on cover art: https://coverartarchive.org/release/ff192604-d06a-44a1-9ab6-9e55276efba3/39102373956.jpg , but having trouble to understand mastered, mixed, and recorded by part.

The cover art says:
Mastered by Yoichi Aikawa at Rolling Sound Mastering, TOKYO. Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk, NYC. Track3
Mixed by Yasuhiko Terada (THINK SYNC INTEGRAL Co., Ltd.) at Studio MUV, TOKYO. Track 1,2,5
Recorded and Mixed by Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, Makiko Tanaka at Studio MUV, TOKYO

Troubled point is:

1. Who mastered which track
    a) Yoichi Aikawa and Howie Weinberg mastered track3, and others are unknown.
    b) Howie Weinberg mastered track3, and Yoichi Aikawa did the rest.
    c) others
  2. Who mixed which track
    a) Yasuhiko Terada mixed track 1, 2, and 5. Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka mixed track 3 and 4.
    b) Yasuhiko Terada mixed track 1, 2, and 5. Track 3 and 4 is mixed by Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka mixed 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
    c) conbination with a) or b), except the track 4 which is written as '95 original version which should be that in 1995 release.
    d) others
  3. Who did the recordings
    a) Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka recorded 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
    b) Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka recorded 1, 2, 3, and 5. Track 4 should be that of 1995 release.

FYI: Track list.
1/5: Synchronized Love J Rap Jam
2/5 Synchronized Love Millennium
3/5 Synchronized Love - Soft Grind Mix
4/5 Synchronized Love - '95 Original Version
5/5 Synchronized Love J Rap Jam (Instrumental)

Sorry for long text.

1 Like

It is badly written, especially due to the locations of the full stops. It is impossible to know for sure from this layout.

Notice that no full stops are used anywhere in this whole image. The only times a full stop seems to appear is on the end of NYC. TOKYO. Ltd. Inc. I am not sure if they ever end a sentence with one.

Notice that track 4 is “original '95 version” so makes sense it has no credits here.

I personally read

1\ Mastering all tracks by Yoichi Aikawa and Howie Weinberg (first in Tokyo, then later in NYC)

2\ Track 3 - Mixed by Yasuhiko Terada
Track 1,2,5 - Mixed by Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka

3\ Track 1,2,5 - Recording Engineer Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, and Maiko Tanaka

The reason I read it like that is the text has been forced to stay as three rows, meaning it overflows in an odd way. There is too much text to fit the “Track 1,2,5 etc” details onto one line. So something has to overlap in one direction or another.

Look at the text as it is and attempt to reformat it. If you try and put “Track 1,2,5” in front of the third row then there is not enough space for it to fit. I feel the editor who was laying out the text text just ran out of room and started shuffling words backwards.

I’d be trying to find another cover to see if I can get other hints.

2 Likes

this is also how I read those credits, with the positions of the periods. that’s also how Discogs has these credits, for whatever that’s worth, lol

Thanks for the comments, so I should ignore line feeds, just believe periods.
Which will be:

Mastered by Yoichi Aikawa at Rolling Sound Mastering, TOKYO. Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk, NYC.
Track3 Mixed by Yasuhiko Terada (THINK SYNC INTEGRAL Co., Ltd.) at Studio MUV, TOKYO.
Track 1,2,5 Recorded and Mixed by Harrie Hosotani, Naoya Takahashi, Makiko Tanaka at Studio MUV, TOKYO

Oh, this makes much sense! Thanks!

Off topic: I thought the part of the release was mastered at Tokyo, Japan by Yoichi Aikawa (Japanese), and the other was mastered at NYC, US by Howie Weinberg (United States). In other words, I thought the 2 mastering engineer did not work together. But this is kind-of-don’t-care, as whether the 2 mastering engineer worked together or not doesn’t appear in the database (:-p

2 Likes

Exactly as you have typed it is how I have read it. Each time the word “Track” appears is a start of a sentence.

It is funny to see that even when you have typed it out the word “TOKYO” has dropped onto its own line. That third line is so long with so many people credited in it.

There are many ways to read that block of text. I went with a “formatting error” style also due to the people putting it onto the page may not have been able to read it due to the language. So may have tided it up to look neat and stay on three rows.

The way those two mastering credits seem to have no track numbers in between them it felt more natural to me to push the track credits onto the next line.

1 Like