Trying to standardize genres/other tags

I created a plugin that implements a $replacemulti script function:

After enabling the plugin you can add a script (Options > Scripting):

$replacemulti(genre,Ebm,EBM)

Not extensively tested but it works for me!

2 Likes

Thanks for the base, I had an error, this seems to work:

$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),ebm),EBM,%_loop_value%)))
$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),edm),EDM,%_loop_value%)))

$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),dnb),Drum and Bass,%_loop_value%)))
$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),drum'n'bass),Drum and Bass,%_loop_value%)))
$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),drum & bass),Drum and Bass,%_loop_value%)))

$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),darkwave),Dark Wave,%_loop_value%)))
$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),steampunk),Steam Punk,%_loop_value%)))
$setmulti(genre,$map(%genre%,$if($eq($lower(%_loop_value%),shadowrap),Shadow Rap,%_loop_value%)))

Although it look like a mess, it seems to do the job.

I am confused.

In MusicBrainz, Genres are a well defined, finite subset of tags - the list can be found here. @hiccup steampunk definitely is a genre - it is on this definitive list - unless of course you are questioning the sanity oft he MB genre wizards?

The tags that you enter are free-form, and so I assume that genre identification from tags is case insensitive. So I can see that all of (ebm, EBM, Ebm, eBm, ebM, EBm, EbM and eBM) would be considered the same genre. But steampunk is a genre, and (unless spaces are ignored), “Steam Punk” would not seem to be a genre.

Of course, you get a lot of people who enter freeform tags thinking that they are entering a defined genre, but they enter Steam Punk rather than steampunk and it ends up a tag instead. This is the problem with tags and the kludge MB implementation of genres as a sub-set of this - and the result is a data clean-up nightmare.

This then gets infinitely more complex when you consider sources from the genre tag other than MB’s genres. (lastFM, AcoustBrainz Mood-Genre plugins immediately come to mind).

So, if this is a discussion about a data issue, then it’s complex.

But if this is a pure scripting question, then much simpler. And (as usual) @rdswift or Bob is the font of all knowledge. :slight_smile:

So I can see that all of (ebm, EBM, Ebm, eBm, ebM, EBm, EbM and eBM) would be considered the same genre.

I guess it depends on how the player/server implemented their genre etching script thing hahaha but indeed it is the same, but for sanity it’s nice to see them all written the same way all the time.

And I do like custom genre (tags) too as it can sometimes better define what it is, but writting the year of the release as a genre (on a public database I mean) or writing the album name as a genre (yeah saw that too) is pollution in my eyes - although this topic won’t fix that

I might do an extensive banned genres in Picard (like do all the years and stuff) and use either @atj or @rdswift solution and make a huge script just trying to fix the genre (to my subjective liking trying to also respect the MB official list)

EDIT:
I hate that some times it’s 2 words while sometimes it’s a single word: Shadowrap, Steampunk but it’s Dark Wave and not darkwave:confused:

For something like this, I’d likely use a regular expression like ^drum.*bass$ (with appropriate escaping for Picard) in an $rsearch() function rather than a bunch of discrete tests.

1 Like

I unpack the genre mess like this:

1. Broad genres have general consensus (we can probably mostly agree about Classical or Jazz for example). Fine genres are considered much more subjective.

2. Genres are IMO hierarchical not exclusive. Baroque or symphony or chamber-music would generally be considered sub-genres of classical for example.

3. Whilst there is a place for free-form tags, is is absolutely inevitable that they get messy and ruin data quality. If you don’t want genres to be messy, you have to have a defined list and prevent typos - so selected from a dropdown, not entered freeform where speeling mistooks oftenn happon.

4. If you want consistent data quality, then it needs to be curated - i.e. you need to treat major Genre like Album type - it is a required field, selected from a defined list, and subject to voting.

That is not to say that there isn’t a place for freeform tags (which you accept from the start will become messy - but when you give a scribble pad to a pre-school child, you know that will be the case, but you do it because it allows them to express themselves.

The Picard lastFmPlus plugin did a pretty good job of cleaning up genres from lastFm, so if you want to know how a plugin can do this, that is where I would start.

I have also suggested that Picard provides better support for:
a. Multiple genre source plugins - functionality to handle multiple sources adding to the genre list
b. Genre sanitising plugins - an event to call a plugin that does this lastFmPlus style clean-up.

The current genre list seems somewhat arbitrary. There is no edit history, so who knows how some of them got on the list. There are no descriptions for them - can someone please tell me exactly what “blackgaze” or “brostep” are, and what the differences are between “conscious hip pop” and “underground hip pop” or “contemporary classical” and “modern classical” or even (which I thought were the same) “punk” and “punk rock”? There is no hierarchy, so some have “Romantic classical” items have “Classical” as genre, and some don’t, and “Classical” cannot be implied. As for spaces, don’t get me started on “*punk*” where sometimes they are one word, sometimes two with a space, sometimes two with a hyphen. And the current implementation does not provide support for aliases, so you cannot alias “Steampunk” to “Steam Punk” etc. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

1 Like

“brostep” :joy: funny you mention this as I saw this for the first time yesterday… it killed me.

I always imagined a tree with all genres and sub-genre (and sub sub genre) where you just select what applies and then picard could tag your music depending on the level of details you prefer.

I totally forgot about that one as I tried the last.fm plugin bundled up with Picard itself. I thought the plus one was abandoned. Or was it renamed? If not, do you mind sending the link my way as I can only seem to find open PRs about it but no download :confused: (I apologize for my incompetence)

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/brostep

RateYourMusic (RYM, going to be renamed to Sonemic) is my place to go when I have doubts on ‘genres’ or want to learn more.
All their validated genres have a description, links to the hierarchy they belong to, all releases that are tagged with that genre, and they show known alternate spellings.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Drum+and+Bass/

2 Likes

In my opinion it is something stylistic.
It is valid for movies, video-clips, images, designs of machines and devices, and for dressing-up in costumes.
I have no idea how steampunk music is supposed to sound.

1 Like

I agree entirely. But then again I have no idea what most of these genres sound like and no definitions to help me. It appears to be an arbitrary list of styles, produced by a secret cabal of elite genre definers.

Perhaps MB should adopt the RateYourMusic genre hierarchy and descriptions or partner with them to improve how MB deals with Genres and to share data.

1 Like

I think it never got converted to v2. It may be in the repo under the 1.0 branch.

The list is not that bad. As a start.
It only has very few entries that shouldn’t be there, but most are perfectly o.k.
It is very incomplete though.

The problem as I see it is that genre discussions seem to be happening in chats (which is a very bad platform for things like this), and/or at the tickets platform, which most users will be oblivious to.

A forum board would be much better suited for discussing and suggesting genres.
But, it would probably also need severe moderation. Most of the forums that discuss genres quickly get out of control.

1. It has entries that shouldn’t be there.
  2. It is missing entries that should be there.
  3. There is no history showing who decided what was included or why entries are on the list.

As I suggested, it appears to be arbitrary.

If RateYourMusic has already done a lot of the work to classify genres, why reinvent the wheel? MB should partner with RateYourMusic and reuse their data, and then the discussions about genre can happen on the RateYourMusic forums.

That may not be a bad idea.

For those interested, there is a list of the genres that they have validated here:

But instead of just copying and pasting it without their knowledge or consent, it would probably be more decent and respectful to reach out to them.

But that won’t address what the OP is raising here.
It doesn’t include alternate spellings or names for genres.

(sorry for being part of slightly derailing your thread @sickwolf :wink: )

I really don’t mind! I’m glad some are talking about the actual source of the problem :slight_smile:
RYM looks awesome, love the hierarchy.

I totally agree, but at the same time it make sense to the people using X or Y genre as a descriptive term - like I use steampunk to refer to Abney Park music style and it is arbitrary, but to me it make sense. I won’t force it on anyone though and you might prefer other genre to describe it.

We human love tagging stuff and inventing names. (I say genre but you may refer them as tags, I use genre loosely here don’t throw stones)

I’m gonna go wild here:
Can we actually make a hierarchy/tree of genre and change how we input them in MB from a thread like this? I have no idea how this would work, etc. But like - can we actually change things? :angel:

IMO this is exactly the difference between tags and genres. Tags are subjective and for personal use. Genres are formal metadata.

MBS-11545 and MBS-11501.

1 Like

My savior, thank you! I followed all 3 issues

There is an updated version at Updated lastfmplus plugin for Picard/Lastfm 2.0 APIs by Jormangeud · Pull Request #170 · metabrainz/picard-plugins · GitHub proposed for inclusion. But looks like nobody wants to maintain it and address the open issues of this plugin :man_shrugging: My last comment on this pull request still stands.

1 Like

This thread seems to have turned into a more general discussion about genres but FWIW, I submitted a PR to Picard to add a $replacemulti script function, and it has now been merged:

So it will be available in the next version of Picard, which I imagine will be released in a month or so.

3 Likes