Translations to English variants

The Australian English file is only “1.4% translated”. And yet it looks like it is probably the most correct English file there.

The only strings translated in the Australian version are the strings that actually need translating. Which makes it much easier to check.

The UK and Canadian versions are full of text just copied from US to UK without change. Artificially bloating the file and the “completeness” stat.

If it is okay with you @outsidecontext, I will strip the UK and Canadian versions back to the same levels as Australian. This makes the stats look “odd” but is more correct. It also makes the language file much easier to check through.

Another time I’ll go through the online manuals for Transifex and see if I can find a way to tick off the items that don’t need translation so that percentage can come up a bit.

-=-=-

Meanwhile… I have found a place where those Crazy Canucks use USA spelling for words like customise\customize. Need to check deeper on that one, but is a good divergence from the US and UK versions.

This is a handy resource as it picks out those US \ British \ Canadian differences
https://www.lukemastin.com/testing/spelling/cgi-bin/database.cgi?database=spelling

1 Like

Already done :wink:

I’m fine with this, makes sense.

1 Like

Excellent. Bruce, Sheila and the Kangaroo :kangaroo: will be happy to get rid of that broken English spelling.

I also promise not to add any cheeky references to Broad, Archer or Stokes… ( :cricket_bat_and_ball: )

As an Engineer, my Dad taught me to write U/S onto kit that is broken or UnServiceable. Which does make me laugh when I see English (US) as it is an accurate description :wink:

I will also be stripping back those UK and Canadian version at the weekend. Make the differences much clearer then. It will have a comedic effect of looking like I had done LESS translation at the end of this task than when I started. :smiley:

4 Likes

thanks for the translation work @IvanDobsky if you have any hesitations with the Australian translation just let me know and ill do my best to help

thanks @Freso for making it public again so outers can have input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @st3v3p , you are now official Australian language adviser. I’ll check in with you on the unusual ones. I’ve realised the task that I need to practise centres on organised and standardised advice to correct the colourful language that is favourite to us all. And reversing the cancelled state of Australian has been my initial priority. There was a clear catalogue of mistakes, and all the grey areas are now being fixed now that I have a licence to make these corrections.

Hehe… that covers most of them. :rofl: That above paragraph should send the USA spell checkers into melt down. It should also be correct in Australian, but the Canadians do like their z’s.

It is funny though. Feels like going back to school. Getting my head back around the differences in nouns and verbs. I had actually forgotten that there is a difference between practise and practice…

And thanks @Freso for hooking us back out of the Black Hole we fell into :grin:

2 Likes

Found another lazy English (US) word: Builtin

In UK that should be “built-in”. I’ve found it in the Aussie dictionary too. Will have to check deeper for the Canadians, but will start with correcting it for now as the Canadians clearly lean on proper spellings in the majority of cases.

Making good progress in stripping out the old untranslated sentences. Making the whole file easier to check, and easier to spot a few more authorize \ authorise style corrections.

I have also found good reasons for that clearout - there have been errors on that side that were hidden by the GUI.

1 Like

Actually, here is a question for ALL English readers.

Is “OK” ever written as “Ok”?

In British English OK is an abbreviation of okay. Never see it as Ok. So this is being corrected to the all caps version.

But what about the phrase “OK Match”. Should that be “Okay Match” when used in a list of Good Match \ Bad Match as other choices? Or do I leave it as “OK Match”

-=-=-

Weird forum… insists on weird nanny rules which make it harder to keep things clear… so everything has to be piled into the same edit. Yuk.

-=-=-

@outsidecontext I assume you are checking the US original for consistency? I notice that sometimes there will be a colon on the end of a phrase, sometimes not. Different patterns in Capitals I assume caused by menus or titles.

For example, you usually set “section titles” in the Options To Mixed Capitals. But look at the OPTIONS \ Preferred Releases page and your sections are missing Capitals (Preferred Release Types, Preferred Release Countries, Preferred Release Formats).

What about titles on Buttons? Have a look at the OPTIONS \ PLUGINS and two different ways of naming buttons. Should they be capitals on each word? And you seem to have forgotten the … on the middle button. (I remember … as meaning “opens a dialog window”)

Have you a written down defined rule for these? My levels of natural pattern matching spot that stuff from a mile out. So if you want a comb through of the GUI as seen on screen to pick those out, then just ask and It Will Be So. (Yeah - one of the buttons at the bottom of the page is also missing the “All Caps Look”)

I’ll have these English Translations finished up by the end of the day. Australian first as it is easiest to work with by not being filled with untranslated extras. :kangaroo:

1 Like

Can’t speak for everyone but I always spell it out as “okay”.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I am talking of an “Okay Match” I’d spell it out. If it is a quick confirmation, or the title of a Button, then I’d go with OK.

I don’t seem to have the rights to edit the US language file so items like that will be on the “queries” list for @outsidecontext once I have finished the task.

3 Likes

In the end it was only 19 phrases that actually needed “translation”. I probably spent more time deleting all the untranslated phrases than actually translating. But it is soooo much easier to check and update the three languages now.

Looking forward to seeing the next test release of Picard so I can check over the results.

Would be good to confirm I only need to update the three resource tables: picard, countries and attributes ?

2 Likes

Technically there is no US English language file. What you see as the sources are the texts as they are in the source code. I would consider this the generic English version of Picard :wink:

Changes here are always a bit more trouble, because changing a typo here invalidates all language translations, which need to be reviewed again. If it is a change that has no effect on translations I sometimes try to go through translations and fix them up.

3 Likes

The only bits of confusion came from little areas like OK being in mixed case (Ok) and a few places I would question the Capitalisation as being inconsistent. Nothing major stood out that is worth any effort to chase.

Though one of the other translation sectinos I looked at did have Catalogue spelt out correctly and not in the broken US style of catalog. Not knowing how many of the other sections I should look at beyond “Picard, countries and Attributes” I have stopped at the obvious ones.

We’ll soon know if it worked if “colours” appears correctly next time the app is built.

1 Like

There is probably a better place to post this… Where should we report errors found in other languages? OR should I just pretend I can edit German and go fix this?

@outsidecontext - I was in the Translation file checking something in the German version. And notice an error that could well be in other languages too.

When looking into MusicBrainz \ attributes I assume this is the main website? When looking at string number 672 there is a URL on the English side, but this is missing from the German.

1 Like

I guess you could just make a new thread on the forum (or a general German translation feedback thread). One of the German translators can than fix it when they read it. The alternative would be to go to Transifex, request to become a member of the German translation team and fix it, but that’s a lot of work for a simple correction.

2 Likes

Do you know if the German translation is active? I am already a member of Transifex as I have just updated the English versions. I didn’t want to stand on other people’s toes and wade in pretending I could read German. (My German is limited to ordering a beer…)

I also get a feeling that I may be opening a Pandora’s box and finding this same issue is much wider across translations… :smile:

1 Like

For Picard itself (the picard and picard_appstream resources on Transifex) you can report it to Loading... and assign it to the “Localization” component if you think it is a general issue that needs fixing (e.g. problems with source strings). But if it is something that requires knowledge with the language in question it is probably best to look here for help from native speakers.

It would be better to say what the source string is, then I could look into it. The numbering is not stable and can easily change when the strings get updated. When I look at what Transifex currently considers the 672nd string in attributes it is “Keep Case”, and there is no URL there.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming I should only be looking in picard and picard_appstream. I thought that may be the case

The bug I spotted is in the attributes - which I assume is the main website. When I click on this and “View strings online” I get the following:

That is what I meant by missing URL. Or am I just not understanding the interface?

To be clear: attributes and countries are also used by Picard, but those resources are shared between projects. Also Picard itself has no influence on the sources here.

Now I get it. That URL is not part of the translatable text, it is just metadata. The URL was added as a tag to the string and in this case provides further information that might be useful for translators.

Interestingly this displays different for me:

grafik

The URL itself only becomes visible after selecting the string for translation, then it is displayed in the string details:

grafik

3 Likes

I’m still using Transifex in default setup as a lot of it is still unknown to me. The interface works well enough that I was able to do the English corrections without trouble.

For reference I am on Win10 using Vivaldi Browser (Chromium based). Not sure why that different layout. Or maybe the big monitor is giving the extra space.

I was also looking at that page as a non-translator of that language. As I have only said I can edit English, I get less buttons to press on the other languages. Maybe “view” is giving something different to “edit”?

1 Like