Translation not from the usual text

This Mark Harman translation Amerika: The Missing Person (Work) – BookBrainz of Kafka’s Amerika was taken from a different text: Der Verschollene: Kritische Ausgabe (Work) – BookBrainz

To give the Harman translation a relationship to Amerika, I used the relationship “is derived from”.

The only way I could credit Jost Schillemeit as the editor of Der Verschollene: Kritische Ausgabe Work was use the relationship “was revised by”.

Not sure if this is the correct method!

Hmm, sorry there are some misunderstandings here.

1. Der Verschollene is just the later (today canonical) title of “Amerika”. They changed it because the first title has been chosen by Max Brod. The later title reflects diary entries of Kafkas ideas for the title.
    No revisions made.
  2. Jost Schillemeit was the editor of the first edition with the new title. No need to mention him in the work.
  3. “Kritische Ausgabe” is a title addition for a special edition with many annotations and explanations. So it doesn’t belong to the work title.
  4. If you like, I will fix this :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Thanks for that. Your German is better than mine.

I’ve done 1, 2 & 3.

Should there be a Work for Der Verschollene as it is just Amerika which already exists.

1 Like

No it’s an alias, or maybe we should change the main title to “Der Verschollene” and add “Amerika” as alias. I’ve changed my opinion, that the main title always has to be the original. It’s not a good idea, because often the first title just was used for the first edition or for the first few years.
So I think the canonical title might be the best choice.

I’ll merge the two Works.

I try to stick to that rule but sometimes I think it creates more problems than what it is worth. I did that with 99.9% of Christie’s short stories and it caused me a lot of problems as I had to remember the original titles.

I wonder if it is easier to go with the common name rather than structure the database for scholars!

1 Like

I think so yes. There are only very few editions with the original titles, so we just have to add an alias for the title just a few times and not in 90% of the editions.

1 Like

Done! (Des yeux qui font baisser les miens 20 characters)

1 Like

Yes, looks good now :wink:

1 Like