Track is getting identified wrong

New user to MusicBrainz, so my apologies if I’m missing something obvious!

I have a deluxe Blu-ray disk that contains multiple version of the same track (stereo, 5.1, new mix, etc.). I only ripped the 5.1 version. When I lookup these tracks in MusicBrainz Picard, it identifies them as the “Stereo Mix” rather than the “5.1 Surround Mix.”

I can’t figure out how to edit this so that it is tagged as the 5.1 mix instead.

You can drag the matched file to the correct track in Picard. I don’t think AcoustID looks at the number of channels, only how a file “sounds”, so if that’s not significantly different it may guess wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks!! That worked. Pretty much EVERY TIME it chooses the stereo track rather than the 5.1 track though. So, as you can imagine doing it one by one is going to be pretty tedious. Is there some way to do it for an entire album?

Thanks!

You can drag multiple files at once, drop them on the album title and Picard will attempt to match the files to the individual tracks.

Just tried this. It still defaults to choosing the stereo rather than 5.1 track.

If the files sound the same (scan) and the length/metadata is the same (lookup/dragging and dropping), I don’t really know if Picard currently has any way of ‘guessing’ the difference between a stereo and a 5.1 file.
It seems to me like what you’re getting is annoying, but unfortunately expected, behavior.
Perhaps this could be a feature request?

So the stereo and 5.1 tracks are on the same disc? In this case the only difference in metadata is probably the disc number, and if your existing files do not have the disc number set accordingly Picard has no chance of matching the tracks to correct tracks. This would require MusicBrainz to store some information about the audio channels.

2 Likes

Yes, the stereo and 5.1 tracks are on the same disc (these are SACD and DVD-Audio rips).

Is there a place to make feature requests?

1 Like

http://tickets.metabrainz.org/