Thoughts on Foo Fighters' "Million Dollar Demos"

So I was reorganizing my library and came across this release again, and am unsure how I would add it to MusicBrainz, or if I should. It’s a release of a form - they’re “leaked” demos, and seem to be generally accepted - hell, there’s some speculation that Dave Grohl himself leaked them.

But anyway, that is neither here nor there.

The question is, there’s a set of seven songs that constitute a release as I understand it. Some reference links:

They’re unreleased material from an early attempt at what would eventually become One By One. Basically, demo tapes for an ultimately-unreleased iteration of the album. There is one [demo tape] release for Foo Fighters, but it’s a totally different set.

This set also has a more-or-less agreed-upon name, the “Million Dollar Demos”. Track ordering/numbering is more ambiguous. There’s an ordering that a few people have repeated that’s basically a reconstruction of what the album would have been, with released versions of songs filling in the gaps between these 7 demo tracks.

So, questions for those who know their stuff:

1. Should I add this release to MusicBrainz? I would like to, and it seems like it makes sense, but am not sure if it falls within the parameters.
  2. If so, what tags/classifications should I add it as? How should I handle the track ordering/numbering?
  3. Does it make sense to title the release “Million Dollar Demos”, or just “[demo tape]”? Perhaps “Million Dollar Demos [demo tape]” or some such?
1 Like

[quote=“fiveofoh, post:1, topic:28838, full:false”]
So, questions for those who know their stuff:

1. Should I add this release to MusicBrainz? I would like to, and it seems like it makes sense, but am not sure if it falls within the parameters.[/quote]
    Please do. We already have many other releases like it.

Add it as Album + Demo, with the “Bootleg” release status. Use what the release uses for track ordering and numbering.

Just stick with “Million Dollar Demos” since it’s the semi-official name.

2 Likes

Excellent, I’ve added it in:

Thanks for the confirmation and tips!

2 Likes

What bitrate version do you have?