The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

Those chips need a motherboard that will accept them. I know people who have Intel i7 PC and no way to upgrade. But then I also know people still running Win7. Most PCs are just used as web browsers with the odd letter to the council written. These people have no need to waste money chucking out perfectly good kit.

I can see some of this machines just heading into Linux instead. Less mess to deal with.

3 Likes

I had heard of these TPM modules but not looked at them seriously, I need to see how they interface to the motherboard. Still w11 would be a year off unless forced otherwise. Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

If you are lucky, bottom edge of the motherboard you may have a socket that will take it. And if the luck continues this then appears in the BIOS in a form that Win11 is happy to talk to. BIOS update may be required. You will know if it works if you can pass the “Are you ready for Win11?” test that pops-up in Win Update.

@dpr

I love playing games Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, Duke Nukem. :wink:

@dashv try.

Maybe Windows will be less vulnerable to hacker attacks.

@IvanDobsky maybe Windows will be less vulnerable to hacker attacks.

Aren’t consoles better for that?

1 Like

Maybe a bigger install base makes it a more attractive target?

Consoles are for children. :wink:

I like to click Next, Next and Enter with my mouse. :wink:

@dpr

Apparently it is not profitable to write Trojans for Linux. A small target as you wrote. :wink:

So why you got Win11 and not DOS that they were made for?

Just imagine how well Win98 would run on modern hardware. And not weighed down by the bloat of Win11 OS

So what are the servers running? Or your little home router? And various other IoT kit? There is plenty of attack on Linux systems. Bugs are bugs and will be exploited if there is money in it.

2 Likes

Or maybe there are less resources to protect it?

@IvanDobsky I have floppy drive usb but I don’t have DOS 6.22 floppy disks. I have to use the DOSBox emulator for Windows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=floppy+dribe+usb&crid=LLB5OH26YFOG&sprefix=floppy+drive+usb%2Caps%2C90&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

It’s good that you write the truth about Linux, without pomp. :wink:

OK. I found what I’m looking for. :wink:

The original sources of MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0, for reference purposes

and

GitHub should be safe.

I wonder if the BIOS and SSD will allow DOS to be installed.

I guess I’ll have to change AHCI to Legacy IDE.

You may have a few little issues with the 16-bit OS on the 64-bit CPU…

If you want to run old DOS then you will need to go dumpster diving to find age appropriate hardware.

Stick to Dosbox.

It is unknown. :wink:

It is more difficult or impossible to run e.g. Windows 64-bit on a 32-bit processor.

A garbage can is not necessary. :wink:

In Poland, there is a portal even selling used underwear. :wink:

I can provide the website address in a private message, as it is not appropriate on the forum.

The reason I mentioned dumpster diving is you can make up a much higher spec machine from kit people discard. I have an old Pentium Pro Dual CPU server sitting next to me. In the 1990s was a web server, today it is a desk for my printer.

I’ve sent close to a tonne to recycling over the years…

If you need an ISA SoundBlaster or a Voodoo Graphics card I can probably locate them in the spares box.

1 Like

Ivan super. :wink:

Ah, these memories…

When will the old days come back?

Do you remember how long it took to copy 1.4MB off of a floppy disc? Or the pain of installing from a 20 disc set of floppies only for the last one to be corrupted or missing?

You can now download all 20 of those floppies from the other side of the planet quicker than loading up that first floppy.

Some bits of “old” can stay back there…:smile:

1 Like

@IvanDobsky

I am sentimental and romantic.

Will you forgive me? :wink: