The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

According to this banner I’ve been a MusicBrainz editor for 16 years.

12 Likes

Deezer suddenly started to show the back cover art (with the barcode of the CD release!) for some releases which had previously shown a correct front cover:

New feature or just a (re-)upload of the label which went wrong?
In any case, I appreciate this oddity, as it gives me access to good quality back cover art which would be hard to find otherwise (as the CDs are out of print) :star_struck:
The preview images are just square crops, but Image Max Url is able to access the full non-square images, so I already backed them up for the CAA.

(Other streaming services which also have these releases are apparently not affected.)

6 Likes

Bandcamp Friiiiiiiiday!

2 Likes

Username checks out.

2 Likes

:fish:

(I can’t just write “fish” :()

5 Likes

MusicLM: Generating Music From Text

Andrea Agostinelli, Timo I. Denk, Zalán Borsos, Jesse Engel, Mauro Verzetti, Antoine Caillon, Qingqing Huang, Aren Jansen, Adam Roberts, Marco Tagliasacchi, Matt Sharifi, Neil Zeghidour, Christian Frank

Google Research

Abstract We introduce MusicLM, a model generating high-fidelity music from text descriptions such as “a calming violin melody backed by a distorted guitar riff”. MusicLM casts the process of conditional music generation as a hierarchical sequence-to-sequence modeling task, and it generates music at 24 kHz that remains consistent over several minutes. Our experiments show that MusicLM outperforms previous systems both in audio quality and adherence to the text description. Moreover, we demonstrate that MusicLM can be conditioned on both text and a melody in that it can transform whistled and hummed melodies according to the style described in a text caption. To support future research, we publicly release MusicCaps, a dataset composed of 5.5k music-text pairs, with rich text descriptions provided by human experts.

3 Likes

24 writers on a single song :exploding_head:

6 Likes

So when it comes to splitting the cash from Spotify they each end up with a cheque for 50pence…

I am trying to work out how a room of 24 people would even operate! Do they do a line each?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s like a game of chinese whispers!

1 Like

I’m more thinking of that game where you draw a head on a bit of paper, then fold it over and hide it and then next person draws a torso, etc… :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi all,

For anyone here involved in music composition I made a site for music/audio.

One of the most popular pages is the delay calculator for calculating times in music note timing to use for timing reverbs and delays.

If you need a rap name or just want to have fun, the rap name generator is popular too.

Thanks,
Nick

3 Likes

I got:
Dan the Rap Cat

2 Likes

I got a strange question:

• A weapon you like

Then, as if it was normal to even like any weapon:

• Another weapon you like

A weapon? I like? What?! :rofl:
And then… :scream:
What kind of world are you living in, @nickfever?

Update: I think I got it, it’s making fun of Gangsta Rap names, or something.

2 Likes

i.e…

• lil uzi vert
  • machine gun kelly
  • Tech N9ne
  • Mack 10
  • Key Glock
  • Squirt Gun Smitty… ok, I made that one up
  • Nicky 2 Gunz… ok, I made that up too
1 Like

if you hadn’t said you made those last two up, I would have 100% believed those were actual rapper names… lol

Nicky 2 Guns tho… that’s great~

4 Likes

the closest we’ve got is: Johnny 2 Gunz - MusicBrainz

2 Likes
2 Likes

as seems to be the norm with cool things like this, Tom Scott did a great video on this a while back~

3 Likes

About 17 years ago, I was at work and I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I stood up, flexed both arms and said, “I’m Nicky 2 Guns,” and everybody lost it. I’m not big, lol.

3 Likes

Exploiting aCropalypse: Recovering Truncated PNGs

4 Likes