The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

Interesting music map project from Switzerland. Unfortunately I couldn’t test it:
https://songmapp.ch/

4 Likes

what, like Geocaching, but with music? sounds interesting~ (pun very much intended) :wink:

Why? What are you worried that might happen?

I looked at the VLC source code and they only have the three icons AFAICT (christmas, Kill Bill, and normal one).

This is the off topic thread? I thought it was generally a sense of humour here. :joy: Sorry if I sounded too serious. I was joking. I was implying that something equally silly may happen. :joy:

I have gone back and edited the post to make it clearer it was a joke. Sorry if I confused you.

Every time I see @jesus2099 ‘Yahoo! Auctions Japan is now geoblocked!’ thread I wonder why jesus is so happy that ‘Auctions Japan’ got geoblocked.

I’ve never heard of someone wanting something to be geoblocked before and it makes my brain feel weird :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m not happy, it’s a big hindrance in my MB editing! :sob:

But my Japanese friends told mercari was taking over yahuoku in popularity, more and more.
Indeed I already found and bought interesting stuff there in the recent past.

This geo-block made me update my searches, probably for the better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I mean because ‘Yahoo!’ is like ‘Hurray!’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

had a feeling this might have been on the cards, as I had an ONKYO bluetooth speaker that was so poorly made it broke within a week of owning it.

3 Likes

just wanted to share this nice little corner of the database I’ve discovered and improved~

don’t know how many of y’all know about Keyboard Cat, but it was a meme that went around back around 2009. there’s been 3 cats now who have been Keyboard Cat, and they’re still making videos~

more info on the meme: Keyboard Cat | Know Your Meme

edit: not gonna lie, this was also partly to test if the picture would show up on the MusicBrainz embed thing… :wink:

5 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Userscript suggestion: button to auto-fill join phrases

via Pluralistic: 21 Jun 2022 – Pluralistic: Daily links from Cory Doctorow

4 Likes

Labels bending over backwards to define streams as ‘sales’, and not a ‘licence’. Meanwhile streaming services are bending over backwards to define streams as a ‘license’, and not ‘sales’.

The only way to screw both listeners and artists!

I didn’t know it was 50% split for licencing… I need to get in touch with the artists I have put on streaming services, there’s some more money to be sent. To me, as the kind of music I put up all runs at a loss :joy:

2 Likes

People who use YouTube probably already know this is happening:

Google doesn’t give normal people the ability to report these kinds of activities at all.

6 Likes

The page is empty for me, even in archive. :thinking:

Okay, known, but super depressing to read so much about it playing out… a big motivator for MetaBrainz to keep doing what it’s doing! I know fair artist representation is a part of the big picture goal.

On a lighter note I really want to watch the film these two dickheads made. Statements like ‘The Worst Movie I’ve Ever Seen’ are like catnip to me :joy:

p.s. 2 mins in and if you like bad movies this is looking very promising. Enjoy!

1 Like

Apparently you have to be in the US to be able to read these two pages (article and film).

Bummer - works in NZ (which is a nice change tbh)

I had this idea for years - too lazy tho :smile:

1 Like

If anyone has strong opinions on footers, have at it: [CB-448] Design new CB footer - MetaBrainz JIRA?

A track from the new Haiduk album Diabolica [black metal]

1 Like