The General Chatter/Off Topic Thread

I am so glad to know why some do this!! Big ‘so it’s not just me’ moment!!

3 Likes

Random Geek Fact of the Day

Very very old CDs don’t have that little ridge you find on modern CDs. That little ridge was added so you can safely put a CD onto a desk (or scanner) without it sticking.

Little known fact - better to place a CD silver side down on a desk as more protection on that side. And have a look - the little ridge holds it clear of the desk surface.

When scanning old CDs I have a little suction cup thing that I pick the discs up with. Those really old discs make such a perfect seal to the glass otherwise :grin:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Some nostalgic sounds:

5 Likes

I think a few of you may appreciate this “I’m going to break your database” list

7 Likes

You mean like this?
https://musicbrainz.org/tag/interfacebork

(original file in full resolution)

or perhaps invisible names (and non-clickable links)?

6 Likes

I loved having to go through inspect element to edit these releases :heart_eyes: (I’m joking, but it’s interesting how follow artist intent leads to cases like this)

If you really want to try breaking the database try adding this release with 65536 tracks
Discogs can’t handle it either

or how about a title that’s so long it had to be stored in an extra file:

8 Likes

Voice-based stereotype generator :joy:

Interesting paper, thanks!

1 Like

It’s missing the MovieFone guy!

1 Like

Since it’s Easter and I came across this VLC media player “easter egg” (what a coincidence) again, I thought I have to share it here:

Guess what I’m currently playing :joy:

The other VLC easter egg, of which I know, is the Christmas pylon which is probably well known to VLC users as it appears for multiple weeks each year. Maybe you know of any other easter eggs in VLC or other music-related software?

2 Likes

I don’t get it! Is a traffic cone with some blood on it very easter-y? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

No, it’s not really related to Easter, it was just a coincidence that it appeared during that day. I meant an “easter egg” in the broader sense of a hidden feature:

Apparently this Easter egg always appears when you play a file whose filename or title contains “Kill Bill”. Then VLC shows the bloody traffic cone instead of the regular one during playback, but only if your media file has neither a video stream nor a cover image that is shown instead (which happened yesterday when I tested my digitised copy of the linked soundtrack LP). It also appears after playback has stopped – that’s how I discovered it for the first time after playing the movie.

2 Likes

So that explains why I didn’t see it as I was playing some Floyd. I thought it was a reference to nailing someone to an easter egg. I never knew it did that for random albums. It does make you worry as to what happens if you load up music the devs don’t like.

(Edited to add: I am joking. :rofl: Sorry to be confusing)

1 Like

Hah, definitely didn’t help that it was Easter weekend when I looked at that :joy:

Kill Bill makes much more sense!! Too cool.

I wonder if we can do something similar with MB/Picard/LB :thinking:

LB would be fun, as there will always be lots of stuff going through there…

1 Like

Interesting music map project from Switzerland. Unfortunately I couldn’t test it:
https://songmapp.ch/

4 Likes

what, like Geocaching, but with music? sounds interesting~ (pun very much intended) :wink:

Why? What are you worried that might happen?

I looked at the VLC source code and they only have the three icons AFAICT (christmas, Kill Bill, and normal one).

This is the off topic thread? I thought it was generally a sense of humour here. :joy: Sorry if I sounded too serious. I was joking. I was implying that something equally silly may happen. :joy:

I have gone back and edited the post to make it clearer it was a joke. Sorry if I confused you.

Every time I see @jesus2099 ‘Yahoo! Auctions Japan is now geoblocked!’ thread I wonder why jesus is so happy that ‘Auctions Japan’ got geoblocked.

I’ve never heard of someone wanting something to be geoblocked before and it makes my brain feel weird :thinking:

5 Likes