Slowed down and sped up audio: New release group?

a current trend on tiktok is songs in different pitch and speed. universal and warner recently hopped on this trend and launched some digital “artists” which i added as series.

i saw someone else add one as a different release group, so i added the rest that way, but i am wondering what most of you think. they’re not completely new remixes, just the pitch and speed changed.
also, could it just be the same recording and be a mastering difference? Style / Recording - MusicBrainz

4 Likes

I would agree they are still the same recording. Especially helps they are coming with their own ETI to explain the time differences.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be a Mastering difference, I’d consider it a remix. probably the simplest remix ever, but still…

I’ve already done this kinda thing with Caramell’s Supergott:

I also think they wouldn’t be the same recordings, because there’s often a remixer credit that would be missing, like for these Nightcore remixes:

4 Likes

true, but are they really remixers or are they mastering engineers? because those belong on the release

after reading the mastering section in the Glossary docs (and the Wikipedia article linked therein), I believe speed changes are not in the realm of mastering. also, I feel there’s more artist intent involved with sped up/slowed mixes than with (re-)mastering. (not necessarily the original artist’s intent, mind you)

see also the Know Your Meme and Wikipedia entries for Nightcore, which both call this type of recording both an “edit” and a “remix”.

either way, there’s different AcoustIDs and ISRCs* between these sped up versions, so that is data that might be lost/muddled.

*at least, in the case of a random sample I pulled up, Lights: (original and remix)

3 Likes

Is anything added or removed from the original audio? Insert some extra vocals, or take out a verse, and you have a new recording. Speed adjustment is just that - playing the original recording tape back at a different speed.

Often see this with bootlegs where an old tape is running too slow, and gets sped up. These are treated as the same recording. Splice in parts of a different tape and now it is a new recording.

My understanding is the “new recording” is about how much you change that original. A sped up tape can be slowed down again and you are back where you started.

It depends of how drastic is the speed and pitch change.
If it becomes like the Smurfs singing with helium voice, it’s another MB Recording.
If it’s minor change, like because of different tape player or slightly different vinyl turning table playback speed, then same MB Recording, because it will not be that perceptible.

6 Likes

In a previous discussion, @jesus2099 said (and I agree):

we should keep recordings with one demi-tone difference, or more, separate

Slight differences in speed are one thing, but if it’s enough to change the key then it should be a new recording.

5 Likes