Simple Novice User Inquiry How To Move Tagged File Out Of Program

Greetings forum members, for years I have been wanting to tag my music files and with the advent of newer file players that display the artwork am moving forward with it. So I found this wonderful program, got through getting a single album tagged that I browsed in from my RAID array storage. So the album and all it’s tracks are green with a green check mark, all looks complete as the tutorials have shown. So now what?? I am new to tagging. How do I get the now tagged album file out of the program and into storage or on my player?
It looked like the file might be tagged in it’s original place but it doesn’t look like it. I don’t use iTunes, only generic folders. I noticed the tutorials hit the “Remove” button when the example file look like where I am at. Thanks in advance for any info/guidance!

1 Like

A low tech-skilled volunteer here.

Once you’ve matched files to track and clicked Save, the files should now be tagged and in your storage.

1. To check that the tags have been applied, select a file/track and then look in the bottom Tag Display Pane - it should now have “New Values” being the same as “Original Values” column. The image below shows an instance where New and Original values are different.
    (https://picard.musicbrainz.org/static/img/quick_start-09.png)

2. “Once you’ve saved an album and/or want to remove it from view, right click the album in the right-hand pane and click ‘Remove’.” (https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/basics/)

Does that answer your question?

(Picard also has options to write the saved tagged files to new folders, with new names, if that is what you want. One method to tag a collection is to make a back-up of the collection, then use Picard to tag and move folders out of that back-up to a New Tagged Music folder, and also have Picard, at the same time, delete the albums which it tags from the back-up folder. This separates your tagged albums from your untagged albums.)

Do keep asking, tagging is more complex than it sounds. If you get stuck for more than 5 minutes - ask.

4 Likes

@me12bnids It seems like you made a reply that just copies @mmirG’s response verbatim. I assume this was not the intention. Consider using the web interface if responding by e-mail mangles up your reply.

Thank you for the reply on the structure of the file system in a tagging program. I didn’t realize that the program simply paths to the music file source to tag instead of actually loading it into the program to process, then remove.