Silent Crashes on Windows (2.6.4)

Hi,
recently started with another attempt to organize my library…

Downloaded the current version (2.6.4), running on a Windows Server 2019 VM at this point with 4 cores, now @ 32GB memory.
Dumped a couple of thousands songs into it, slowly progressing to sort the good from the bad…
Let it run for a while (usually over night), found it had died the next morning…
Retried a couple of times…provided more memory, nothing.

Did some searches, found the command with debug output (-d), unfortunately nothing usable…
I have no idea whether its a specific song/tag, memory overflow or something else…

So looking for help now:)

Thanks,
Cheers

W: 16:26:31,648 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.handle_cached_toptags:471: cache error: all_artist, method=artist.gettoptags&artist=Die%20drei%20%3F%3F%3F&api_key=XXX
D: 16:26:31,865 webservice\ratecontrol.get_delay_to_next_request:118: ('ws.audioscrobbler.com', 443): Last request was 26643 ms ago, starting another one
W: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmng\plugin.handle_cached_toptags:471: cache error: all_artist, method=artist.gettoptags&artist=Die%20drei%20%3F%3F%3F&api_key=XXX
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.process_album_tags:137: >>> process album tags: Die Drei ??? - Die Drei ??? Und Der Schwarze Tag (Sechs Kurzgeschichten)
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngmixins.print_toptag_stats:30: got 0 album tags
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngmixins.print_toptag_stats:30: got 0 all_artist tags
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngmixins.print_toptag_stats:30: got 0 all_track tags
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: grouping: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: grouping: metatag: albumgrouping
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: grouping: saving: albumgrouping = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: genre: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: genre: metatag: albumgenre
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: genre: saving: albumgenre = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: mood: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: mood: metatag: albummood
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: mood: saving: albummood = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: occasion: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: occasion: metatag: comment:Songs-DB_Occasion_album
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: occasion: saving: comment:Songs-DB_Occasion_album = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: category: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: category: metatag: comment:Songs-DB_Custom2_album
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: category: saving: comment:Songs-DB_Custom2_album = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: country: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: country: metatag: comment:Songs-DB_Custom4_album
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: country: saving: comment:Songs-DB_Custom4_album = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: city: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: city: metatag: comment:Songs-DB_Custom3_album
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: city: saving: comment:Songs-DB_Custom3_album = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngsettings.filter_tags:216: decade: no tags
D: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:115: decade: metatag: comment:Songs-DB_Custom1_album
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.filter_and_set_metadata:128: decade: saving: comment:Songs-DB_Custom1_album = Unknown
I: 16:26:31,865 C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\MusicBrainz\Picard\plugins\lastfmngplugin.finish_request:292: FIN

Few tips:

• work on backups
  • work on small batches (hundreds of files), find a batch that fails
  • disable all plugins, and see if the issue is triggered
  • enable plugins one by one, try again with same batch

Once you identified the issue, report here (with complete debug log if possible).

3 Likes

On the whole I agree with Zas - but for slightly different reasons.

Some plugins create a tranche of web calls. So I would recommend that you start by doing basic identification of MusicBrainz releases and basic tagging / organising of your library first - which is the most manual and time-consuming part of the process, and then once you have associated your tracks with the right releases and they will be loaded automatically based on the MBIDs that are not embedded in tags, you can then enable plugins and add further metadata to the files.

The way to do this is essentially that suggested by Zas. Disable all plugins, tag the files in batches. Then once you have done this, take a small batch and enable the plugins in stages to ensure that they all work, and then retag your library in batches a second time with the plugins enabled.

You mean its not a fire and forget job? Oh no…

Kidding o/c, I was afraid that this would be the most sensible (and time consuming) approach…

At this point I am not sure whether its actually a specific file, or a plugin/file combination, or just the pure amount of data (not that its that much, couple of hundered gigs) which causes this, will try to identify.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

@Zas Could you please let me know how to create the full debug for when I manage to consistently find a trigger?

You might want to check out the Troubleshooting section of the documentation. In addition, I suggest you take a look at the Work Flow Recommendations, which might help get you started based on the current condition of your collection.

1 Like

Thanks, so I assume the “full” debug log is basically everything from start to end of the session in a text file.
I was assuming that the flag would create a log file in addition to printing it out on cli;)

Will review the workflow recommendations, better to do it right the first time I guess;)

1 Like

So it looks like its an issue related to too many items to process.

Did not have a crash when going slow, but as soon as I dump a ton of albums it crashes again (well 8-16 hours later or so). In this case its already processed alums, so it cant be invalid chars or tracks either.

Its no problem for me any more, just wanted to provide feedback.