Should there be separate release group for a split digital release

This release includes two discs each named “clear” and “CoLoR” respectively.

The problem is, it is split into two different albums on digital stores with their own separate releases (like on Spotify and iTunes). My question is, should the digital release be in the same RG as the physical release or should I make a different RG for the physical and the two digital releases?

2 Likes

I would say yes, there should be 3 release groups. Treat it like a 2 in 1 CD.

7 Likes

These two split RGs should be marked as included in the current RG (relationship type).

5 Likes

I really don’t know about digital releases, here is another so called split album.
It seems to be a thing in digital world.
The editor justifies the release group merge by them being split albums.

https://musicbrainz.org/edit/74339094
https://musicbrainz.org/edit/74338796

Should we do same as for physical releases (separate RG) or is this different for downloads?

A split album is not a thing in digital world, but in music world.

Those edits are not related to what is being dealt with here, because is a total diferent thing.
3 Likes

I have a lot of split releases - it is a very popular format for punk releases, particularly 7" releases, where an artist has a side each. Sometime a different ‘front’ cover on each side of the sleeve, sometimes a normal front and back.

It’s common lately for each band to put their tracks from a split on their own Bandcamp, and I always add that to the same release group as the split. The tracks have been released separately but in ‘spirit’/intent they are just releasing the split to their fans across two sources. The cover is always the same as well. Different RG’s seems too messy for me in these cases.

2 Likes

@goibe, that’s the specific digital thing.
So maybe in digital, you should merge.
I don’t care, but, if so, I must remember for my future merge edit reviews.

In physical, we should just consider these as rips or, if artist would really release them separately, as separate release group.

The usual reasoning for keeping separate release groups in this case:

But it’s true that it would cause an issue for things like album re-editions that include full concert bonus discs that we would still like to keep in the main album release group.

1 Like

In this case I couldn’t even find the data for the original split at the time… just the sides I downloaded individually.

But it would make no sense to me to separate these out, I think it’s more important to respect the spirit/intent.

1 Like

Isn’t the intent of a split release to put two things together so that the fans of A will discover B and the fans of B will discover A?
Split should be joined.
If the split albums are then split, the intent is new, omit the other artist.

I think that is no new intent when they split they albums, may be just you can’t sell music from other bands through your bancamp page.

1 Like

None of the bands would say they have two releases - they would say, we have done a split, grab the tracks from the respective bands pages.

2 Likes

Mmmh :thinking: We could as well not create releases for these partial stream/downloads.
I bettter stay away from download release editing. :wink:

1 Like

I want to tag my downloads! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I know what you mean… though I’ve honestly started enjoying adding these kind of weird ‘bits’ that digital gives us.

1 Like