Schema Work-Artist Relationship

If anyone is familiar with mb’s schema, can you explain how it associates work to artist? I’ve had a look at the schema diagram over at https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/-/images/5/52/ngs.png but it doesnt seem to reflect any of the relationships listed under the Work page:

Relationships

A work is associated with artists, recordings and other works through advanced relationships.

Work-to-Artist relationship

A work can be associated with one or more composer, arranger, instrumentator, orchestrator, lyricist, librettist, translator and publisher.

Work-to-Recording relationship

A work can be associated with one or more recordings. This provides the indirect association between a work and its performance and production artists.

Work-to-Work relationships

A work can be associated with one or more other works. There are two types of work-work relationships:

Part-of-work relationship
A work can be expressed as a part of another work.

Derivative work relationship
A work can be expressed as being derived from one or more other works. Examples: instrumental work with lyrics added later, translation of a work into a different language, mashup.

Any explanations would be very helpful!

1 Like

Did you see the “Relationship table structure” section of the MusicBrainz Database Schema page? Let us know if that one doesn’t clarify things for you. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks Freso, I must’ve mentally skipped the section when it didn’t become immediately relevant to what I was looking for. The page keeps making reference to this thing called AR but doesnt ever explain what the acronym is meant to stand for. Do you know?

Nvm, looks like the auto-glossary kicked in!

Hi,

depending on how you like to absorb information, the relationship types page may help.

I think it’s the best overview of the MB entities and how they can be linked using relationships (aka ARs). The definitions of the entities themselves are on the schema page you started from.