Remaster, remastering Artist and different ISRCs questions

I have a release that is full of remastered version of songs, they are not identical to the originals but I can tell they are the same songs, also no differences in length. The album is not a remaster of one release but several releases, some partialy. The remasters have different ISRCs and I have the name of the artist that remastered them.

How do I credit the remastering artist?
Do I use the engineer-mastering relationship? Guy’s a DJ, not sure if that matters.

I read remasters don’t get separate recordings from the originals. The style guide says to make “remaster of” release relationship but the remastered tracks where released as singles for the most part and some where released as part of EPs of which not all the tracks are included in the album.

Do I still make the “remaster of” relation between the various releases and this one.

The remaster tracks have their own ISRC, won’t adding the additional ISRC to the recordings cause the all ISRCs listed for them to apper when someone pulls the metadata thru Picard? Is that not an issue.

1 Like

How different are they?
If there is an audible significant difference, you should use different recordings, it’s not just a remaster, I think.
they used the term remaster maybe because it sounds cool.

1 Like

The description for the release reads:

“All songs have been remastered by DJ Weaver to give you the best quality possible.”

So I do belive they are remaster. Unless I’m misunderstanding what was done.

Any thoughts on the other questions?

Artist-Release mastering is the only mastering relationship. Since the credit says “all songs”, it seems appropriate to attach “DJ Weaver” to the release. It isn’t possible to attach different mastering engineers to different tracks.

Yes, a recording will list multiple ISRCs. ISRC differences will occur even when the audio is bit-by-bit identical when some companies put out compilations, for example.

If you are trying to tag your music with release-specific data, then you will have to ignore all ISRCs and all recording copyright information that comes down from the database. MusicBrainz merges them all together so that you cannot tell which recording value goes to which release.

Can you tell how much they are different?
Is it more loudness? New cross-fades? New different mix of instruments?

Update:

More/less loudness/bass/treble/noise/clarity/volume/etc. can be considered mastering differences that don’t require new recordings.

But different mix, lengths, splits, takes, etc. require new recordings.

3 Likes