Release: Track artist: nonclassical: restrictions?

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Release
It appears that this documentation allows for the use of writer/composer as track artist.
Is this intended?
For example see

I normally do classical, but I’d think that’s intended, especially here where otherwise you’d have unknown for everything…

Though having “unknown” credited as Thibaut [track 8] is probably wrong. Google (for Thibaut "my way") suggests Gilles Thibaut, but I haven’t researched that at all. Same (probably) with traditional for 11, and again unknown on 13 (presumably Keith Reid).

It is a bit odd to credit the lyricists…

The guidelines appear to allow the nonclassical track artist to be who-ever is credited on the release, no matter their role - performer, composer, lyricist, populariser of song (presumably that is the role that F. Sinatra has on track 10 “New York”).

The overarching rule is that track credits match the album notes.

If you think you have identified the Unknown artists, please make an edit to add the details.

1 Like

Sophist, why does the following from the SG not apply?

If the release artist is a Special Purpose Artist, the performer should be credited if known, or [unknown] otherwise.

1 Like

if Sophost doesn’t want to reply I can’t make him.

Anyone else want to comment on the continuing applicability of

“If the release artist is a Special Purpose Artist, the performer should be credited if known, or [unknown] otherwise.”

1 Like

I didn’t reply because I wasn’t notified by email that there was a new post (because I haven’t posted here before) and you didn’t add anything in the edit notes either until today.

The convention is that the track artists are as per cover, and the recording artists are the credited track performers from e.g. the notes, plus greater detail on specific performers using artist relationships.

I don’t write the style guides, though I do try to match them and in general agree with them.

As for the SG entry:

this is quoted out of context. The full quote is:

So in the edit referred to above, it is the first two sentences that apply:

The last sentence:

is IMO intended to apply to tracks where the track attribution is not stated on the release cover.

@Sophist:

We disagree about the interpretation of;
“Track artist
Track artists should follow the release artist, except where another artist is credited in the track listing of the release. This can include various artists releases, featured artists, and tracks credited to another artist. If the release artist is a Special Purpose Artist, the performer should be credited if known, or [unknown] otherwise.”

Your understanding of there being a clear convention around this is at odds with the views expressed by other editors at thread;

@mmirG:

Well @reosarevok and @Freso are far more experienced than I and I will certainly defer to their definitions.

Please feel free to reverse the edits made by myself and others following their guidelines in the other thread referred to.